Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I am having a series of supartz injections in both knees.

one knee is completed and...
i am having a series of supartz injections in both knees. one knee is completed and the second has two more to go. one this week and one next.
my blood pressure has been a bit elevated since i began them--about 145/88 to 150/89 vs my normal of 125/70. my pulse is also around 80-90 vs. my usual 67-75. i also have had some nausea and diarrhea. the pain medicine center says supartz doesn't cause these side effects but my reading seems to say it does. are these normal side effects or should i be worried? my knees are improving and i only have another week to go.
my sciatica also seems a bit worse but i think that may be because i haven't done accupuncture or had a spinal epidural in several months because of the knee injections. they recommended against doing this until the knees are completed.
i have spinal stenosis and i herniated several disks from a fall which is causing the sciatica. i am going for physical therapy for these.
i'd like to delay surgery completely or at least for awhile because they found some lung nodules while doing an ultrafast ct scan of my heart. my heart was absolutely normal and they said it was unlikely that i would have a heart attack in the next five years. they are following up on the lung nodules with ct scans which have so far been good. i have one more to go at the beginning of next year before they'll clear me completely.
10/22/2013
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Hello

I can appreciate your concern.

But let me reassure you, Supartz which is Hyaluronic acid would not cause these symptoms at all.

Hyaluronic acid is not absorbed in the blood stream. It has never been known to cause these symptoms - there is no record of such reactions in anyone and nor is this explanable from the known actions of Supartz.

Your raised BP and pulse is just a coincidence that it started along with the Supartz.

I would advise - see your primary care for this. Have it checked up. This could signify a rise of pressure for you which is quite unrelated to Supartz.

Take care.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

i had a series of cortisone shots just before the supartz. i just remembered that. could that be the problem?

Hello Shirley,

Now your condition is explained.

Rise of BP and pulse is a known side effect of cortisone.

No doubt this is the cause of your raised BP.

This is usually temporary - give this time, about 6 weeks. Your BP and pulse should have come to normal by then.

If not show your doctor.

Steroids are the cause of your problem no doubt.

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Hello Shirley,
Thank you for your positive rating to my answer.
I am very pleased that I was able to help you.
You may shortly receive an email survey to rate my services from JA. Please take the time to answer the survey with positive ratings for me, because the survey is actually very important for me on this JA site and your good ratings will help me immensely.
If you have any further questions, either on this issue or a different issue, I would be happy to help you. Just 'request' me or put 'For Dr. P. Jyoti only' at the beginning of your question so that I get to work with you again.
It was a great pleasure for me and JA to be able to help you.
JA has also started a new feature where you can add an expert to your list of favorite experts so that you can request them directly
I would be honored to be included in your list.
Thank you,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD