DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I am not sure if this is something that I need to see my

Hi. I am not sure if this is something that I need to see my doctor about or not. I have pretty much irritated my family to a point that they can't take it by my talking about it. Since august I have had around 5-7 pounds weight gain. I am 5 ft 3 so it shows up more on my small frame. I was sick around that same time with a horrific asthma flare up where I took a steroid inhaler for 3 weeks in august. I also since then have been on prilosec and dexilant for heart burn. I have also been having abdominal cramping which I believe is my IBS flaring up. I am not pregnant. I am not overeating ( I could make better food choices such as cutting out fried foods) but this is odd for me. For some background I have a panic disorder and OCD that is pretty intense right now as my brother was diagnosed with cancer in august as well and I bought a new house and lost my job. Could stress be causing my weight gain? or the antacids? I stopped them last week. I also tried to start working out last week (zumba) and want to return this week. THis probably sounds nuts but i am terrified (after looking online) that I have some sort of cancer that is causing the abdominal weight gain. I feel like my regular docs are sick of me for always dealing with my asthma worries and I don't know what to do. WHen i DO gain or lose weight the first areas affected are always by abdomen area. I am losing sleep with worry and even as I type this my abdominal pains are getting worse as I am getting more upset. Any suggestions???? THank you!!
Hello
Cancer causes weight loss.
In fact what I would check here is the thyroid function.
Low thyroid can make your psychological problems worse, and cause weight gain.
A TSH on the blood test should be between .3 and 3.
Over 2.5 might be hypothyroid.
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions.
Please do not forget a positive rating when done.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I was having the horrible asthma flare ups and feeling fatigued (not knowing if it was from stress or not) my doc had my TSH tested. I don't know the number result but was told i was normal. I had not fasted before the test though by accident when I was told I needed to.

Normal has changed.
Labs and docs still thing that up to 4.5 is normal.
So find out the exact value.
In addition, stress creates a higher state of inflammation in the body, which in turn promotes weight gain. This is another explanation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you. I will find out what my exact numbers were before persuing this further.

You are welcome anytime, any questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi. I called to get my results and they were 2.74. My dr insists that up to 5 is normal but when tested in 2010 my level was 1.1. I'm going to go against my pcps advise and endocronologist.
you need to see an endocrinologist that is up to date.
5 is not normal if you have symptoms.
Some major research bodies now recommend that anything above 2.5 is hypothyroid.
Please do not forget a positive rating.