Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I just stopped methadone 32 hours ago,,, can I start my new

I just stopped methadone 32 hours ago,,, can I start my new pain medication today ,,,oxycotin?
Dr. Rick, MD :

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Dr. Rick, MD :

Yes, you should be safe to start your new pain medication, at the dose directed by your MD, now.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick, MD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, MD :

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Dr. Rick, MD : Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?
Dr. Rick, MD : Yes, you should be safe to start your new pain medication, at the dose directed by your MD, now.
Dr. Rick, MD : Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick, MD : I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, MD : Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hello dr rick?????

Hi.
I am still here and the Green Bay Packers are ahead :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I thought the half life would maybe mess with new medication,,,, can you tell me anymore info sir?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hello

The half life of methadone has a very wide range of between 8 and 58 hours.
That being said, 32 hours out from you last metadone dose you will, very likely, be just fine to start your oxycoton.
If you are worried you can wait until 5 half lives have passed. At this time basically no methadone will be left in your system. Unfortunately, the half life of methadone is much, much longer then its duration of pain relief, which is about 4 to 8 hours so you probably will be in pain for quite some time if you decide to wait that long.
But, from my point of view, you should be OK to go with the new medicine now.
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok thankyou,,, I get worried I don't want to get sick or have any issues,, I don't want to over dose cause I have medicine left in me,,,,, the methadone always wore off after like 8 hours then my back would go crazy,,, so im good to start a dose of oxycotin

you are correct. I wear off, but then metabolite and the drug itself is hanging out in your body...even though it is not helping control your pain.
You need not worry at all about starting your oxy now.
I hope it controls your pain for you....
Take care and have a good day.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS