Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My father is ninety years of age. He had ankylosing spondylitis

My father is ninety years of age. He had ankylosing spondylitis in his thirties and at that time was given deep xray treatment. Although in discomfort over the years, he has generally been well. He had a knee replacement and two operations to reduce an enlarged benign prostrate in his early eighties. Both operations were successful. Recently, over the past two months he has had a lot of pain at the base of his spine. He then became constipated possibly due to the painkillers he was taking. Lately he has had some incontinence of the bowel and the bladder. He is due to have an xray tomorrow and some further blood tests for liver, bones, prostrate and general inflammation on Monday. He did have a series of blood tests in April before all this occurred which showed no problems. Do you have any suggestions for further treatment? He is getting very despondent as until now he was independent and able to care for himself.

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

Mysticdoc :

Bowel and bladder incontinence is little concerning.

Mysticdoc :

Worsening pain at the base of spine also is concerning.

Mysticdoc :

These symptoms suggest the possibility of the severe herniated disc or compression fracture or spinal stenosis of the spine.

Mysticdoc :

All these conditions can put pressure on the spinal cord.

Mysticdoc :

This may become surgical emergency if his symptoms worsen further rapidly.

Mysticdoc :

Xrays may be fine but more importantly, a MRI scan of the spine is essential.

Mysticdoc :

If there is no significant damage to the spine and spine surgery is not imminent, then epidural steroid injection is a good option to control the symptoms.

Mysticdoc :

Physical therapy of the spine also can be combined along with.

Mysticdoc :

These options are better than the oral pain killers which should be used only for supporting therapy not the mainstay.

Mysticdoc :

It is better to consult with a spine specialist like a spine surgeon or a physiatrist.

Mysticdoc :

Please reply here if you have any further question.

Please do not rate till you have all your questions answered to your full satisfaction.

Customer:

Thank you. You have answered my questions. Can I print this answer?

Mysticdoc :

yes ofcourse.

Mysticdoc :

Once you complete the rating process by clicking on the smiley faces, you will be emailed a copy and also can print out.

Mysticdoc :

It was my pleasure to help you today.
Best wishes,
Please rate the chat Good or Excellent ( smiley faces), if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/