Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My son is 45 yrs old and visiting me out of state. He has no

medical insurance, Two nights he...
My son is 45 yrs old and visiting me out of state. He has no medical insurance, Two nights he could not sleep because of his ear hurting. He thinks he has wax build up. We went to pharmacy and purchased Murine wax removal but no relief. Do you have a solution for home remedy.
9/28/2013
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Dr. Bob :

Hello. Wax build up does not hurt. Is he having any ear discharge?

Dr. Bob :

Any cold symptoms?

Customer:

No discharge just pain

Customer:

Always having sinus problems

Dr. Bob :

This is more likely to be from eustachian tube dysfunction. The middle ear behaves very much like the sinuses. The tiny tube that drains it can get closed off...whether by an allergy or a virus...when this occurs, pressure builds up in the middle ear.

Dr. Bob :

I would suggest you try something like Actifed, which is available over-the-counter. It has an antihistamine and a decongestant combined together.

Dr. Bob :

This usually helps the eustachian tube to open, relieving any pressure and allowing any fluid trapped in there to get out...before it gets infected.

Customer:

Is this a liquid Med

Dr. Bob :

It is usually a capsule...though there are liquid versions of it.

Customer:

which is best

Dr. Bob :

For adults, the capsule is better.

Dr. Bob :

Talk to the pharmacist. He or she can show you the available versions and check for allergies and the like.

Customer:

when we get the Actifed is there anything else we can do like heat or ice

Dr. Bob :

Neither will help, really, because the problem is deep. But you could get debrox drops just in case there is some wax build up as well.

Customer:

Thank you very much

Dr. Bob :

You're welcome.

Dr. Bob :

Hope all works out for the best for your son.

Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor