Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

The test that they actually did do, do you think that was a

3rd gen?...
the test that they actually did do, do you think that was a 3rd gen?
9/28/2013
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Dr. Cameron :

Yes, it looks like the 3rd Gen test

Dr. Cameron :

because there is no mention of the AB

Dr. Cameron :

I am sorry, AG

Dr. Cameron :

And I did take another look at their website and there is a 4th gen that I sent you the link for...

Dr. Cameron :

did you see that?

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

yeah i did, i've been looking at that for the last few days since i got the test done and thought that's what they were doing. Anyways though, is the 3rd gen accurate at 24 12hours?

Dr. Cameron :

no, it isn't

Dr. Cameron :

you need at least 6 weeks for it to be accurate

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

damn, i thought 3rd gen cut it down to around 20 days

Dr. Cameron :

The fact that it is negative, is nice to know- I mean, it is better than a positive

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

yeah..agreed

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

lol

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

isn't 3rd gen accurate in w window of 20-24 days though?

Dr. Cameron :

No, it isn't

Dr. Cameron :

the earliest one in this regard is the 4th and that is really at 28 days

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

yeah i've seen that online, the health department here in FL calls the 4th gen conclusive at 15 days

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

what about this site claiming 3rd gen good at 20-22 days: http://www.bcmj.org/bc-centre-disease-control/don%E2%80%99t-wait-test-hiv

Dr. Cameron :

Hmmm. Let me look

Dr. Cameron :

HIV screening is all about timing. The right test at the right time means accuracy.

< 3days – see doc and discuss if you need PEP. The Doctor will determine how high risk you are and recommend as appropriate.

12 days – HIV RNA PCR. This only tests for HIV-1. But it is the earliest available test for HIV.

28 days – HIV P24 Ag/Ab combination test.

Dr. Cameron :

That is the WINDOW period:

Dr. Cameron :

The average window periods for the following tests are:

• 20 to 22 days for third-generation enzyme immunoassay (EIA) tests, which detect HIV antibodies.
• 16 to 18 days for fourth-generation EIA tests, which detect p24 antigen and HIV antibodies.

Dr. Cameron :

And it is an average

Dr. Cameron :

it is like a bell curve

Dr. Cameron :

doesn't mean that it is accurate at that time. you will still miss a bunch of peopel

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

yeah i understand, so the third gen test i supposedly got might actually be a true negative since i got it at 24 days after exposure?

Dr. Cameron :

I think that you will be a true negative regardless

Dr. Cameron :

I bought a lottery ticket and I thought of you today :-)

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

haha, why, is it 1 in 20million that i'll be negative?

Dr. Cameron :

yup

Dr. Cameron :

I mean positive

Dr. Cameron :

powerball

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

omg Doc, don't scare me

Dr. Cameron :

1 in 20 million that it will be positive silly

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

there we go

Dr. Cameron :

your encounter is not a high risk encounter

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

do you have yahoo messenger?

Dr. Cameron :

no I don't

Dr. Cameron :

but I will let you know if I win over this website

Dr. Cameron :

Or maybe you will not see me on anymore- ha! ha!

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

oh no

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

should skype me, xxxx

Dr. Cameron :

we will figure it out :-)

Dr. Cameron :

Anyway, get some sleep- I know this has been driving you crazy

Dr. Cameron :

You did not get HIV from this encounter. I promise you.

Dr. Cameron :

You must be really tired

Dr. Cameron :

there is a great movie called Now you See it

Dr. Cameron :

Check it out if you haven't seen it (no pun)

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

ehhhh

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

what is it about

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

UFO's or something

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

there was a movie i saw when i was about 12 or 13 called, "And the beat goes on" i think that was the name of it or something like that, and it was about the HIV outbreak in the US among homosexual men, it scared the hell out of me, i'm not gay or anything but it still scared the hell out of me

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

also when i was like 8 and i first learned about HIV i thought i was infected, lol

Dr. Cameron :

No- it about these magicians who rob banks

Dr. Cameron :

it is really good

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

oh, is that the one that's out in the theaters right now?

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

i've seen the previews, looks kinda cheesy but might be entertaining

Dr. Cameron :

Sorry now you see me

Dr. Cameron :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rdhffCEG00

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

should message me on skype, xxxx

Dr. Cameron :

No- it is on demand

Dr. Cameron :

I can't do that- it is against site rules :-)

Dr. Cameron :

:-(

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

ehhh, who's gonna know

Dr. Cameron :

well, this entire chat is recorded for one

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

maybe the NSA, lol

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

yeah this site but not your personal skype account

Dr. Cameron :

ha ha- well, they work pretty hard on this site to maintain anonymity

Dr. Cameron :

but you can always find me here

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

uhhggg, boring

Dr. Cameron :

and many experts have long ongoing chats with their custys

Dr. Cameron :

ANyway, I have to run- but that is my homework for you. I need a full report. And the results of your 4th gen test from tomorrow :-)

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

hmmmm

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

i'll tell you on skype

Dr. Cameron :

sorry, I can't do that.. I know you understand.. have a good night :-)

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

k, i'll let you know the results after i make them give me a free test

Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor