Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Mu uncle is currently on life support and family will

Hi Dr John, Mu uncle is...
Hi Dr John,
Mu uncle is currently on life support and family will probably unplug tomorrow. My story is this: he went to ER about 2 weeks ago having difficulty breathing. they sent him home with a strong antibiotic. He ended back at ER 4 days later with, not only no improvement, but worsened conditions. He was admitted and even though they found NO signs of pnuemonia with x-rays, test, etc., they continued to treat as pnuemonia. they put him into an induced coma about 5 days ago and he coded this morning. I can tell you his lungs have failed and they were compared to bricks at this point? Other organs are also failing. Any idea what this could've been besides pnuemonia??
9/26/2013
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Dr. Cameron :

hello

Dr. Cameron :

Dr. Jones is not online

Dr. Cameron :

I am also an ER doctor

Dr. Cameron :

would you like me to help you?

Dr. Cameron :

Did they do a CT of the chest?

Dr. Cameron :

Hi

Dr. Cameron :

I don't see that you are on line.

Dr. Cameron :

Other things which can cause shortness of breath and stiff lungs would be severe pulmonary fibrosis

Dr. Cameron :

Interstitial lung disease

Dr. Cameron :

You can also have shortness of breath and code following a blood clot in the lungs- called a pulmonary embolism

Dr. Cameron :

Severely infected lungs can give you a stiff appearance and so can conditions like hemachromatosis (deposition of iron into the lung tissue)

Dr. Cameron :

Having a CT of the chest would be most helpful

Dr. Cameron :

I am really sorry for your loss

Dr. Cameron :

You can also have severe heart failure secondary to endocarditis (infection) which can cause fluid to back up into the lungs and multisystem organ failure.

Dr. Cameron :

I hope that this was somewhat helpful

Dr. Cameron :

Getting an autopsy would be important if they cause of death is still not clear by tomorrow.

Dr. Cameron :

My thoughts are with you and your family

Dr. Cameron :

I hope that this helped.

Dr. Cameron :

Please leave positive feedback if it did..

Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
HI I was checking to see how you were doing... been thinking about you..
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor