Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

I am a 47 year old female and for the past year the left

Hello, I am a 47 year old female and for the past year the left side of my face feels heavy, swollen and numb. I often go to the mirror to see what I look like because it feels so weird but I don't really look any different....although when I smile I can notice the swelling a bit. The feeling comes and goes for no apparent reason...
Dr. Cameron :

hello

Dr. Cameron :

are you still there?

Customer:

Yes, hello

Dr. Cameron :

any change in your smile?

Customer:

The left side of my face/cheek looks bigger than the right when I smile....but it's not really noticeable to other people unless I point it out

Dr. Cameron :

any other symptoms

Customer:

It feels heavy and numb on the left side and under my neck .... sometimes it's better than other times

Dr. Cameron :

Any CT or MRI?

Customer:

No

Dr. Cameron :

Any other medical problems or medications?

Customer:

I found out 3 months ago that I had been drinking arsenic well water....am not now. I have all the symptoms of hypothyroid and just started a small dose (15mg) of Armour tablets.

Dr. Cameron :

what is your most recent TSH?

Customer:

I just had blood work done but haven't got the results in front of me....they were in the right range though

Customer:

I just have all the physical symptoms

Customer:

Maybe I should ask for a MRI or CT scan?

Dr. Cameron :

Well facial numbness and tingling can be caused by hypothyroidism

Dr. Cameron :

but if you can get a MRI, I would consider it

Dr. Cameron :

that would be helpful to rule out any lesion in the brain

Dr. Cameron :

I would try to find out what your TSH levels are- they should be 0.3 to 3.0

Dr. Cameron :

As well, VII cranial nerve irritation, such as in Bell's palsy (although it is much more dramatic) can also cause similar symptoms

Dr. Cameron :

So I would:

Dr. Cameron :

1. Find out what your TSH is

Dr. Cameron :

2. Get a referral to a neurologist. They can order the MRI/CT scan if they feel it is helpful. They may be able to diagnose cranial VII issue on physical exam as well

Dr. Cameron :

I hope this helped

Dr. Cameron :

please leave positive feedback if it did :-)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry....I did not mean to rate poor service....will try to do the rating over again...

No problem. I will let customer service know that you meant to rate it positively, or you can rerate it here
HI I was checking to see how you were doing :)