Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

This is a legal/medical Q: I am 58 and very fit, eat a great

This is a legal/medical Q: I...
This is a legal/medical Q:
I am 58 and very fit, eat a great healthy diet-- but have had adrenal issues for years.
My Alternative care MD put me on a low dose of Hydrocortisone-- 10 mg-- in April of 2010 as "adrenal support" during a very stressful time, and he told me to continue to use it ongoing.
I did not notice any difference when I took it-- and had no idea it was steroids! 2 months ago I got a DXA scan which shows osteoporosis in the lower lumbar and osteopenia in the hips.
As far as I can tell-- his only tests he based his opinion on were some simple thyroid tests.
In September of 2010-- he helped me to file for SS Disability-- and I got a lower lumbar Xray from a low income clinic which showed pedicle stress reaction. The Dr noted I had malabsorption syndrome for SS-- and specifically fat malabsorption. He noted inflammation and Gut disbyosis for SS. It wasn't until I got Medicare in Jan of 2013 that he gave me a Vitamin D test-- and I was at 34 ng/ml. My urine has always been acid. With my research and in speaking to others-- there were many clues he missed that should have led him to look at my D level first-- and yet he missed all clues -- like I was not getting the fat soluble vitamins ADEK, etc. Many things should have warned him I was not a candidate for HC treatment. He said I was the only one he'd ever placed on HC in his career-- (I think 35 years or more.)
He avoided my calls for a week after I got the DXA scan, and we finally met to discuss what to do. He and his wife are personal friends, and are on the edge of bankruptcy due to 12 lawsuits unfairly filed against him by a former employee. (I have talked to our minister 2-3 times on heir behalf-- even paying him 50.00 out of my own pocket to pray for them and for his time!) They begged me not to sue them, and I said they were lucky it was me that this happened to, and if they would just make amends, do what was needed to rebuild my bone with vitamins etc, (not with Fosamax)-- and cover labs for testing I would try that.
We signed an agreement-- which I thought said that he would be paying for lab tests and supplements directly related to the HC/OP issue. He wrote an agreement and I wrote my own-- and we combined them. His part named specific tests of which I assumed were to determine the conditions surrounding the OP, and show how my adrenals were performing while coming of of the HC. I did not notice at the time that he altered my lab section of the agreement to say "as noted on the first page". (I have a neck injury.) So-- he took control of what would be done to compensate me in the agreement.
It turns out that the tests he said he would perform were genetic weakness profiles-- which he ran and told me merrily that I was already predisposed to OP-- in order to lessen his role in the outcome. I asked-- what about Epi-Genetics? …and said you are not off the hook, lets keep going please.
I hired two nutritionists-- spent 1,300. so far in 2 months-- and they are asking for tests that he should be ordering and paying for. (Thyroid Antibodies, a stool test, Hormone Panel, etc.) (My HMO insurance covered the CBC and a Basic Panel.)
This Alternative care MD (who I have paid much to for his vitamin and not drug approach) has been avoiding my many calls this past week so I finally sent a fax, Fed Ex letter and 2 certified letters to say that because I did not understand the contract-- and his intentions to limit his tests to just a few he named and that he had changed my portion of the contract (and also tried to get me to sign that I agreed w/ the HC treatment and would continue) -- and that we needed to amend the contract to make it more equitable. He also has been balking at giving more than free Vitamin D and K pills, saying that any pain I have in the hips and lower lumbar is not related to the OP issue as I titrate off of the 10 HC (I made it down from 10 to 5 in 2 months-- and now I'm at 5 mg now for 5 weeks--and can't go lower. He has complained I am "milking him".
I am dizzy from a BPV issue-- which is worse now-- and cannot earn a living. Going thru savings-- extremely chemically sensitive. I have to heal and earn some money quick. I am surprised I am being taken advantage of like this.
Any advice?
Thanks!
9/25/2013
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Dr. Cameron :

hello

Dr. Cameron :

welcome to the chat

Dr. Cameron :

what is your question for em?

Dr. Cameron :

me?

Customer:

Hi-- We had trouble with getting your new password ***** me-- it never showed up and I had to cal.

Customer:

Please answer the original Q when you can today and I'll be back online later-- thanks so much.

Dr. Cameron :

I don't know what your question is for me

Dr. Cameron :

Do you want to know if you have a complaint or you sue for malpractice?

Customer:

Sorry... I can see I was not very clear. Hard to gather thoughts with vertigo.

Customer:

Looking to see if I have a valid complaint I guess-- can you think of tests he should have performed prior to placing me on HC?

Customer:

There is only a small portion of the alternative camp that uses HC therapy in low dose. The main proponent says it cannot result in Osteoporosis at 10 mg. His rep says that if you already have a propensity towards OP that it can exascerbate it. What does the mainstream camp say? Anything I can hang over his head from a legal point of view?

Customer:

I need to make a new contract-- including tests necessary for tracking as I rebuild the bone. Any suggestions? The nutritionists want a stool test for hormones, etc, thyroid panel plus antibodies-- TPO +antithyroglobulin, a complete hormone panel... as well as reg CBC + ADIFF and basic metabolic panel.

Customer:

And-- sorry -- my email is not working properly, and have to log on here to retrieve message as of now. Your rep tried to help but I am on a Mac and things are different here...

Dr. Cameron :

ok

Dr. Cameron :

I will get back to you about this tonight

Dr. Cameron :

becuase I have to spell out the elements of a complaint so that they are clear in this case and that will take some time

Dr. Cameron :

I promise

Dr. Cameron :

don't worry

Customer:

thanks-- still no email connection-- I'll check back later

Customer:

Hi-- Off to bed-- will check in in the Am... thanks...

Dr. Cameron :

Hi

Dr. Cameron :

I don't know what happened, your question disappeared

Dr. Cameron :

I spent about 30 minutes looking for it

Dr. Cameron :

Anyway

Dr. Cameron :

in order to have a complaint/malpractice, you need to prove the following

Dr. Cameron :

• That the hospital owed you a duty

• That the hospital breached the duty

• That you were injured

• That that breach of duty caused the injury

Dr. Cameron :

or your doctor owed you a duty, etc

Dr. Cameron :

Now in your case:

Dr. Cameron :

1. Did your doctor owe you a duty? YES. He was supposed to care for you. You made an arrangement with him that he was going to be your physician

Dr. Cameron :

3. Were you injured? YES. The HC caused osteopenia and osteoporosis. As well, you were not educated to the risks of taking ongoing steroids.

Dr. Cameron :

4. Did the breach of duty cause the injury? YES. His lack of knowledge of long term steroid use, whether or not was applicable in you and the fact that he did not discuss the risks cause you injury.

Dr. Cameron :

So, YES you DO have a reason for compliant and you can sue, if you want to

Dr. Cameron :

I am really sorry about the delay. But I hope that it was worth the wait- and it allowed me to look at your case, more carefully :-)

Dr. Cameron :

Please leave positive feedback if this helped :-)

Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor

Yes-- that was a great 35. worth...

I do have specific follow up Q's, and will submit later.

(Did you ever find the Q? it popped up w/ my answer.

I have had many mail issues on my end-- so that might be a part of it?)

thanks-- more Q's to come.

Nancy

No, I didn't Nancy. But I am glad that you got your money's worth on this one.
I think it was an issue with the site, not you or me though- this has happened before.

If you want to ask me a question directly- then you should address it FOR DOCTOR CAMERON ONLY

OK will do!

take care nancy!
don't forget the positive feedback :-)
HI I was checking to see how you were doing :)
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor