911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

I have severe itching all over due to high bilirubin levels

Customer Question

i have severe itching all over due to high bilirubin levels i have gallstones plus i had 7stones in the bile duct i had these removed 1month ago and m booked in for gallbladder surgery 7october will the itch leave when i have my surgery and have u any remidies i have been on 4 different antihisimines plus creams im at my wits end can u help
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 3 years ago.
911DOC :

I feel bad for your terrible itching.

911DOC :

And yes, when your gallbladder is removed and your bilirubin returns to normal you should no longer itch

911DOC :

I am a bit confused as to why the surgery is not sooner

911DOC :

and if you develop fever and pain, at least here, you would be getting your gall bladder out right away.

911DOC :

the fact is that if you have jaundice because of gallstones you should have a very low threshold for going to the Emergency department if you have any worsening, particularly worsening pain in the right upper area of your abdomen, or fever.

911DOC :

Unfortunately, there is not much to offer you for the itch besides antihistamines.

911DOC :

And I only wish they were having a better effect for you.

911DOC :

I don't know how much you can push for your surgery to be sooner, but if it were me that is what I would be doing.

911DOC :

I wish you a full and speedy recovery.

911DOC :

I do not see you in the chat so will change this to a Q and A format.

If your question has been adequately answered please consider leaving positive feedback. If you have further questions simply type them in the box below and click reply. Have a great evening, and, should you need my assistance in the future please begin your question with 'for 911doc'.

Best