DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Painful pulling feeling in my upper left thigh whenever I stand

Painful pulling feeling in my upper left thigh whenever I stand or move my leg a certain way.
Hello from JA
Thanks for requesting me.
This can be from groin muscle strain.
IT can be from problems in the lower spine.

It is probably not serious but needs and exam.

Right now
Rest it
elevate the leg
use ice if it helps
use ibuprofen

See an orthopedist or physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor.
Please let me know if you have further questions.
Use reply as needed.
Please do not forget a positive rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I appreciate your response and I will definitely rest and elevate it. But I'm curious as to whether it could really be groin muscle strain because I don't recall any specific injury occurring and I also haven't noticed many issues with my lower back. I have had issues with my neck lately but I don't know if that could really be related to this pain in my thigh? It just started suddenly a few days ago, when I was stepping out of my car. Now everyone time I stand up after sitting or lying down or if I just move my leg in a certain way, I get this shooting pain at the top of my thigh and there is a sort of pulling sensation that comes with it. So it doesn't hurt all the time, only when I make certain movements.

It depends on what you are doing, you can strain a groin muscle in any activity. Neck is not related to thigh, and you don't have to have back pain to have back problems in the spine, which can radiate pain downward.

A structural exam, by either an orthopedist or physical medicine and rehabilitation MD is the best course here, as this type of problem can be very minor, but get worse with time.

Use reply as needed.
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good to know. I've also tried doing some stretches as well which don't really seem to aggravate it or make it better. Ibprofen doesn't appear to help either, unfortunately. I guess I'll see about finding a physician for a structural exam, as suggested. It may take a couple of weeks to do so, should I be fine until then, if I do what you've suggested in the mean time? Thank you for your assistance.

Unless it gets worse this does not sound serious
If it gets worse, go to urgent care.

Find me anytime as needed by request.

Use reply as needed.
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What would you classify as being worst case scenario wherein I should visit urgent care? At this point in time, it occurs every time I stand and I usually have to brace myself and stand still for a moment before I can start walking around, and then after I take a few steps the pain usually tapers off unless I move my leg in an awkward way. Thanks again.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Hello
Pain increasing at all

Pulling becomes pain
Hello
Pain increasing at all

Pulling becomes pain

Any increase in symptoms...go.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. The pulling sensation is painful. It's a tight, shooting pulling pain whenever I stand or move a certain way. No other symptoms, no swelling or bruising or anything like that. Thanks for your help.

OK
If this stays persistent, increases, or expands.....get it looked at sooner.

You are welcome anytime.
Here daily.

Use reply as needed.
Please do not forget a positive rating.