Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Going for gallbladder ultrasound today, but my pain in on

the left side, LUQ and...
Going for gallbladder ultrasound today, but my pain in on the left side, LUQ and right under my L rib cage. Have had chest pain and diarrhea on and off, occasional heartburn even when I haven't ate anything. Worried about pancreas too? If this test comes back okay, any ideas. Pain in mild to moderate, like a pain you get when you run, like a cramp.
Thank you,
Patty
9/20/2013
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Has your doctor performed any blood tests before ordering the ultrasound?
If so, what tests were done? Were any of the tests abnormal?
Are you taking any chronic medicines?

EKG and iron test. Okay. Synthryroid .88 mcg per day.

Thank you for the additional information.

You are correct to be concerned about the pancreas, and the other common cause of pain on the left side of the upper abdomen would be an acid irritation syndrome, such as gastritis or ulcers.

There would be more of a concern about pancreatic disease if there is more significant pain or tenderness. Although the ultrasound may detect certain problems with the pancreas, the usual first test to assess the pancreas are pancreatic blood tests, amylase and lipase.

The usual approach to a possible acid irritation syndrome is to first try a course of medicines to suppress stomach acid, such as Prilosec or Prevacid. If this is successful, then no further evaluation or intervention is necessary, but persistent symptoms would warrant further evaluation such as an endoscopy or a test to look for an infection by a specific germ that is a common cause of a stubborn acid irritation syndrome.

Therefore, if the ultrasound is normal, it would be appropriate to have the pancreatic blood tests performed and to consider a trial of a medicines to suppress stomach acid.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Thank you. Is the pain I described typical for pancreatic problems, could it be deferred pain possibly from gallbladder, that is what the doctor was saying, my abdomen feels tight, like I did a lot of sit ups in too short of a time.

Pain from pancreatic disease can be quite variable. It is most often in the center of the upper abdomen or down towards the belly button, but it can occur in any of the four quadrants of the abdomen.

Referred pain from the gallbladder would be more suspicious if there were findings on exam that were worrisome for gallbladder disease, and from that perspective the doctor that has examined you has an advantage over a doctor that is only able to assess symptoms.

It is also possible to get abdominal pain from a muscular origin, but most people know whether they have done anything that may have injured the muscles of the abdominal wall.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor