Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Treated for h pylori with hpac for 7 days, took away initial

symptoms, 3 days after completing...
Treated for h pylori with hpac for 7 days, took away initial symptoms, 3 days after completing treatment started suffer with rashes and hives which persist more than 6 weeks later. could this be the h pylori is not gone?
9/20/2013
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question Chris.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

It is extremely unlikely that this rash represent an ongoing H.pylori infection or indicates eradication failure of h pylori.

Infact a rash is not a usual symptom of h.pylori.

In your case the most likely possibility is of a drug induced rash (the antibiotics you took for h pylori eradication).

You should have your treatment reviewed by your doctor, preferably in consultation with a dermatologist and have further management plan chalked out.

May be you need high doses of steroids, and anti-histamines for a longer duration (2 weeks) until this settles down.

The dermatologist may also take a skin biopsy if there are any doubts in the diagnosis; and the biopsy report will clarify the situation to chalk out a more specific and targeted management plan.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Hello Chris.
I hope you are fine.
Is there anything else i can help you with?
I will be glad to assist.
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor