Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Many years ago I developed severe edema following rough

masterbation. It went away in...
Many years ago I developed severe edema following rough masterbation. It went away in a couple of hours. I visited a urologist and he advised me to abstain for a while and use more lubricant when I resumed. I did and things were ok. Recently, I have begun having pain and swelling mostly following an erection, but sometimes even while flaccid. It feels as though I have a generalized fluid collection under the top layer of skin. I also have started to see some areas of slight discoloration. What could this be?
9/17/2013
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Dr. Cameron :

hello

Dr. Cameron :

are you still there?

Dr. Cameron :

I was reading your question

Dr. Cameron :

Are you circumcised?

Dr. Cameron :

You can type and hit reply

Dr. Cameron :

this is a chat

Customer: Yes, I am circumcised
Dr. Cameron :

Okay, is the edema of the shaft or the foreskin?

Customer: I actually am experiencing discomfort in both the shaft and the head. I am also noticing some discoloration, specifically redness around the base of the head.
Dr. Cameron :

is it swollen or just painful?

Dr. Cameron :

do you think that you could upload a picture?

Customer: Both
Customer: I am honestly concerned this is some form of cancer
Dr. Cameron :

and this happened after masturbating again, correct? Any changes in lubricant?

Dr. Cameron :

Well, penile cancer is not a painful swelling as you describe which comes and goes

Dr. Cameron :

It is a painless growth that persists or gets larger

Dr. Cameron :

You can get redness and irritation, but this persists

Customer: no changes in lubricant. Masturbation definitely makes it worse but honestly I am barely able to masturbate at this point.
Dr. Cameron :

ok

Dr. Cameron :

Well, there is a condition called chronic idiopathic penile edema. It can be triggered by friction- intercourse or masturbation

Dr. Cameron :

But the thinking is that it may be chronic/recurrent staphylococcal/streptococcal cellulitis/lymphangitis of the prepuce, and the penis

Dr. Cameron :

Which is why this keeps coming back for you

Customer: What concerns me is that I am now experiencing symptoms even while flaccid
Dr. Cameron :

if this diagnosis is suspected then sexually acquired infection should be excluded, swabs taken and antistreptolysin O titre measured

Dr. Cameron :

I understand your concern- it can be triggered by friction but often it appears on itsown

Dr. Cameron :

*its own

Dr. Cameron :

hence the title idiopathic

Dr. Cameron :

the evaluation for this is screening for STDs, the strep infection (the antistreptolysin O titre)

Dr. Cameron :

And if it looks concerning, your doctor may want to do a biopsy to rule out cancer

Dr. Cameron :

But these are labs and studies which need to be done in person by a urologist

Customer: I have not been sexually active for a couple of years. If it is not std related, what are the chances it is cancer? Idiopathic cellulitis, what is the treatment?
Dr. Cameron :

the chances it is cancer is low.

Dr. Cameron :

Risk factors are :

• Being age 60 or older.

• Having phimosis (a condition in which the foreskin of the penis cannot be pulled back over the glans).

• Having poor personal hygiene.

• Having many sexual partners.

• Using tobacco products.

Dr. Cameron :

It doesn't sound like you are any of these

Dr. Cameron :

BRB- got to go to kitchen.

Customer: what is the treatment for the idiopathic penile edema?
Dr. Cameron :

the treatment is long-term antibiotics (also sometimes short courses of oral corticosteroids)

Dr. Cameron :

They may want to do an ultrasound examination or other studies to make sure that there is nothing else going on, including inflammatory and neoplastic disease

Customer: So is it safe to say I shouldn't freak out and assume its cancer? I have an appointment with the urologist In the morning. I got on here because I am nervous about the appt. and my symptoms
Dr. Cameron :

I think that it is safe to assume that. It would be very rare in your age group and without the risk factors as mentioned above

Dr. Cameron :

But I do think that you should ask your urologist about the chronic idiopathic edema

Customer: Thank you very much for your time. I should probably try to get some sleep. I will definitely ask about the ID. Edema. This will help me focus some questions at the appt. I tend to get nervous and leave without any answers, our chat will help prevent that. Thank you
Dr. Cameron :

You are welcome.

Dr. Cameron :

I hope that I provided you with excellent service ? :-)?

Dr. Cameron :

hello?

Customer: Yes, no worries. Definitely excellent :)
Dr. Cameron :

great. Please keep me posted. I will check in on you in a couple of days

Customer: Thanks, ***** *****
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Hi
Thank you for your accept and bonus :-)
I was wondering how your appointment went..
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor