Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

I was told by a doctor I probably have fluid in my right ear.

I was told by a doctor I probably have fluid in my right ear. It is not painful, just feels clogged up, Are there any home remedies? Also the doctor wanted to put a small drainage tube in my inner ear. Is there any other way?

Ken :

Ken :

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Ken :

Do you have fever/ sinus or throat infection?

Ken :

Were any investigations done to see for the cause?

Customer:

no fever or throat infection. metal tong next to ear. machine at audiologist

Ken :

Is hearing normal or reduced?

Customer:

reduced

Ken :

Clogged ear with reduced hearing indicates blocked Eustachian tube.

Ken :

Eustachian tube connects middle ear to the throat

Ken :

This helps to maintain pressure within the middle ear.

Ken :

Blockage of the tube causes altered pressure within the middle ear and so the symptoms.

Customer:

Ok, is here any home remedies?

Ken :

There are few causes for blockage of this tube

Ken :

Yes there are few.

Ken :

The most common cause for the blockage is inflammation.

Ken :

Our aim should be to reduce the inflammation and this will help to reduce the symptoms

Ken :

As of now -

Customer:

What are they? Again are there any home remedies

Ken :

Motrin, Benadryl should help getting relief {these are over the counter medicines}.

Ken :

Warm water gargles {with pinch of salt}/ steam inhalation {atleast 4 times a day - 10 min

Ken :

each time

Ken :

should help to reduce the inflammation.

Ken :

Have balanced diet, adequate fluid/ hot soups {chicken to be specific does wonders}

Ken :

Avoid alcohol, smoking

Ken :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

The doctor wants to put small drainage tube in my ear. This he said would be in 8 to 10 months. This seemed like a long time/ Also can it also be diagnosed later as hearing loss due to age. Don't drink or smoke

Ken :

Putting a tube creates a separate passage to bring the pressure back to normal and drain fluid if any. However before going for it If I were you -

Ken :

I would get few investigations like - CT scan for temporal bone {to look for the middle ear and inner ear}. This will help to rule out other causes and get us more answers.

Ken :

Next step - Try home remedies I explained earlier. Request your doctor for a CT scan.

Customer:

is a ct scan dangerous? What are the side effects?

Ken :

No CT scan is not dangerous. There are no side effects for a single scan. You will also not need intravenous contrast thus ruling out any reaction to the contrast.

Customer:

Is ct scan using radiology? I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to ct scans/ He wants to put tube in tomorrow but 8 to 10 months seemed a long time as I said.

Ken :

CT scan is an imaging modality to look for body structures. Ear in your case. It will show inner structure and abnormality at the ear. This will help us reach a diagnosis.

Ken :

Putting tube is fine but I would get a scan first.

Customer:

Thanks so much. I think I have a slight hearing loss due to age but this feels blocked

Ken :

The blockage should reduce in severity with home remedies already explained.

Ken :

Wish you well.

Ken :

Best :)

Ken :

I aim to provide 'Excellent' service. Did I give it to you? If so do consider to rate my answer.

Customer:

last question, Can I use a hearing aid with a tube, I have a slight hearing loss anyhow.

Ken :

Yes, you can use it with the tube.

Customer:

thanks