How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 46305
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

For ENT---I had an ultrasound of my thyroid because I have

This answer was rated:

For ENT---I had an ultrasound of my thyroid because I have been having discomfort sometimes when swallowing, and in particular when my neck is stretched or turned and I talk. An oblong pill cut in half always gets stuck and hurts as I try to dislodge it when swallowing. The ultrasound was normal. Blood levels were normal also. Should I seek a consult with a specialist, or does this sound like nothing too worrisome? Thank you.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

you should consult with an ENT specialist and get a direct nasolaryngoscopy scope to look down the throat to look for areas of narrowing. if this is normal, you might need to consult with a GI doctor who can perform an upper endoscopy to look down your esophagus to look for narrowing or scar tissue which could be causing you discomfort when swallowing. you could have acid reflux damage of your esohpagus or your throat. ultrasound would not see acid reflux damage.

do you have a doctor you can see who can refer you to an ENT specialist?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Yes, I do have a primary care physician who can make a referral. If there is narrowing, is there treatment? Would narrowing continue to narrow? Symptoms started suddenly a month ago.

there is treatment like dilation for narrowing of the esophagus.

if you have acid reflux, you can have acid blockers to help decrease acid damage. but you need a scope down your throat and esophagus to see what might be going on.
Dr. David and 6 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you