Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Can you let me know what may cause your blood pressure to

Can you let me know what may cause your blood pressure to drop significantly when going from a sitting to standing position? My drs seemed a little concerned and have ruled dehydration and reduced my beta blocker to 25mg once a day. However, I have been monitoring my BP at home and nothing has changed. Could this be neuro related?
Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

Mysticdoc :

THis is known as orthostatic hypotension.

Mysticdoc :

Dehydration is the most common cause.

Mysticdoc :

This can be treated with wearing compression stockings during standing or walking besides lot of fluids.

Mysticdoc :

Another possibility can be due to the autonomic dysfunction.

Mysticdoc :

THis is a problem with nervous system responsible for maintaining vascular tone during standing position.

Mysticdoc :

Body does not respond appropriately or quickly with the position change.

Mysticdoc :

Also neurodegenerative disorders like Parkinson's can affect the blood pressure.

Mysticdoc :

You should consult with a neurologistfor further evaluation.

Customer:

Thanks for you through reply. I do see a neuro as I have nerve damage from a herniated disc which I had to have L4/L5 fused. It has caused drop foot and constant leg pain. I was also diagnosed with Gullian Barre Syndrome in early July (very lucky as it was not sevre). Could this be part of the problem and should I discuss with my neuro doc?

Mysticdoc :

yes likely.

Mysticdoc :

peripheral neuropathy from these conditions can affect your blood pressure.

Customer:

So is there anything I can do besides getting up slowly so that I don't become dizzy and fall to the floor.

Mysticdoc :

you can wear elastic stockings.

Mysticdoc :

Also cross your legs to tense the muscles while standing.

Mysticdoc :

Also isometric hand grips will help to hold up the blood pressure.

Mysticdoc :

Increase salt intake.

Mysticdoc :

There are certain medications like fludrocortisone that can be used in more severe cases.

Mysticdoc :

This depends on the specialist you are seeing.

Customer:

I was told about the sale but not the others. They did test salt levels in my blood and it was within range. I see cardio, neuro, rheum and others. This is where I get confused as it appears it all crosses over and I never know who to call for help. I will try your suggestions.

Mysticdoc :

neurologist should be consulted since your other tests are normal.

Mysticdoc :

The above suggestions should help you a lot.

Mysticdoc :

If not, then medication can be used.

Customer:

Thanks