Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Sore throat for 3 weeks now - not painful but feels

irritated. Have no signs of...
Sore throat for 3 weeks now - not painful but feels irritated. Have no signs of lesions or ulcers or sores, camera down throat revealed nothing but a small amoint of potential fungus at base of tongue.
QUESTION - I performed oral sex on female on 8/2. Could this possibly be connected? if so, what might it be?
9/8/2013
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

Mysticdoc :

Oral thrush can cause this problem.

Mysticdoc :

Now this may not be oral sex related.

Mysticdoc :

However, vaginal yeast infection can also get transmitted through oral sex.

Customer: where would the thrush come from if its that?
Mysticdoc :

one possibility is as above.

Mysticdoc :

another possibility can be due to the recent antibiotic use.

Customer: ok is there anyway to know for sure?
Mysticdoc :

no

Mysticdoc :

unless the partner had yeast infection.

Mysticdoc :

the oral fungus can be identified from the fungal culture.

Customer: i was prescribed a mouthwash to treat the fungus - does this sound right?
Mysticdoc :

yes Nystatin mouth wash commonly used.

Customer: finally, we also had brief unprotected intercourse on same date and i have itch in groin too (but no sores or lessions, no pain when urinating etc). was tested for all stds at week 5 - negative. is she had a yeast infection, would that explain my itch in he goin as well as fungus in throat?
Mysticdoc :

yes that will.

Customer: i was told most yeast infections in men affect the penis and not the groin but my penis seems fine
Mysticdoc :

no the yeast infection can also affect the groin.

Mysticdoc :

Another possibility can be from the sweating.

Customer: ok thank you
Mysticdoc :

very welcome

It was my pleasure to help you today.
Best wishes,
Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

https://pearl.etherapi.com/connectme/152

Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist