Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

40 days ago i had pain in upper abdomen, below sternum. Due

Hello, 40 days ago i had...
40 days ago i had pain in upper abdomen, below sternum. Due to being diagnosed with gastritis 8 years ago, i thought it was because of gastritis again. GP prescribed me Nexium 40 mg and recommended going to gastroscopy. Besides pain, i also experienced loss of appetite, burping, strange taste in my mouth and nausea. Went for ultrasound of abdomen and gastroscopy and they diagnosed me with GERD due to dysfunctional stomach cardia. Advised to finish my Nexium of 40 mg and after that lower dose to 20 mg for two weeks and then stop. During that time, started to feel a pain in my arm. Sometimes i would feel it in neck, sometimes in shoulder, sometimes in biceps and sometimes in forearm. I thought this has to be heart related. Told that to my doctor, she sent me to ECG, everything normal. One night i woke in a middle of the night with the same old pain below sternum, shortness of breath, feeling cold and weak, thinking im going to die. Sit for a while, everything subsided and left with only feeling of being tired and cold. This was 2 weeks ago, afraid to go to sleep. Got anxious about whole stuff. Started waking up at night every other night, usually at 3-4 o´clock with this "attacks" with abdominal pain and weakness in my forearms thinking this is it and every time i would feel cold. Attacks would last for about 20 min and after that i would feel really exhausted and went back to sleep. I got fed up with this attacks, one night went to ER, ECG showed no abnormalities, only elevated pulse(110) and blood pressure(170/90) so they send me home telling me this is due to gerd because i was burping. 4 days ago i started noticing a shortness of breath. I know that this can be related to gerd. This shortness is worse in morning when i wake up and subsides when i take nexium. I can feel it during the day. Also started feeling really tired, like i was anemic ( i know the feeling because of iron deficiency in my childhood), feeling nausea at random times. Generally not feeling well. 2 days ago went for a walk in the evening, started feeling weakness, rapid breathing, felt heart palpatition, thought i was going to collapse. I was near ER so went there and again, ECG normal, only BP elevated and looking pale, got normabel ( i think its version of valium in my country, its diazepem drug). Calmed down, slept like a baby that night. I was always controlling my blood pressure at home and it was from 130/65 to 145/80 max. Pain in left arm would last for 4 days then it would be gone and then come back for a while again. This time i start noticing my pinky and ring finger started going numb and started to bend. Went to GP, told her about all of this. Took blood test, no anemia, normal sugar. Took x-ray of chest, heart and chest ok. Went to internal doctor, he checked heart and another ECG, everything normal. Blood pressure now is from 110/65 to 125/75. Internal said this is all due to GERD and pinched nerve which is causing pain in left arm. So my question is , could this be heart related and should i take some other tests to check it out?
9/6/2013
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

I wrote explanation of medical problem. Did you receive it?

Shane,
Yes. It came through twice.
It sounds like you have been getting very good care during your recent attacks. I am glad to hear that your heart and other issues have checked out OK each time.
From what you have posted, how well you responded to the mild sedative, along with your established diagnosis of GERD I think you are having panic attacks.
I would suggest asking you doctor if she can help you with this. If not, the physician best trained to treat panic attacks is a psychiatrist. Now. Don't get mad. This does not mean you are "crazy" only that you might be suffering from a condition that affects millions of people every day. And the good new? With the right doctor helping you it can be very successfully treated.
Does this make sense to you?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS

Thank for reply.

I went to cardiologist and did stress test and doppler ultrasound and everything was fine. She also suggested that im showing signs of health anxiety. So ill try to arrange meeting with psychologist. Once again, thank for the reply and ill give you top rating.

Shane,
I'm glad I could help....and even happier that your heart is OK :)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Have a good weekend.
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD