Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have an autoimmune condition (RA) and I was wondering if

Hello, I have an autoimmune...
Hello, I have an autoimmune condition (RA) and I was wondering if you believe that having such a chronic condition and/or being immunocompromised would potentially have an affect on blood or urine test results? Namely, is it possible for my body to not "seroconvert" or "show" a positive result for a bacterial or viral infection test via blood or urine, due to my autoimmune issues?
If so, what kind of timeline would you believe that would occur over? In other words, would such test results performed approx 16 months after possible exposure still be valid for me in spite of the RA?
9/4/2013
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

Customer:

Hello

Mysticdoc :

do you take any medication like prednisone?

Customer:

I am on Remicaid

Customer:

And an NSAID, Mobiv

Customer:

Mobic

Customer:

But no steroids

Mysticdoc :

ok

Mysticdoc :

Remicade can suppress your immune system.

Customer:

Right

Mysticdoc :

this is possible as long as you are on remicade and even longer.

Mysticdoc :

Hence, it is not due to the RA, but the medication can reduce the antibody response from your body.

Customer:

What about test results from 6-7 months after possible exposure

Customer:

At which point I was not on any sort of immunosuppressant

Customer:

I only started the Remicade in May

Mysticdoc :

ok

Mysticdoc :

in that case, your result should be more accurate.

Mysticdoc :

As long as your white cell count is normal, this should be ok

Customer:

The possible exposure would have been March 2012 and I got 2 rounds of comprehensive testing in November and January

Customer:

All negative

Customer:

I will call my PCP and see but she did blood work for me the other week and there was no mention of white blood cell count issues when she briefly reviewed them over the phone

Mysticdoc :

ok

Mysticdoc :

I think that should be accurate.

Customer:

But you're suggesting that this most recent round of testing may not be necessarily as conclusive given the immunosuppression

Customer:

It's just that I've had chronic testicular pain and we cannot seem to narrow down a cause

Customer:

Is it possible that something like HSV 1 or 2 could cause testicular pain? Tested negatively for it repeatedly but I read sometimes there can be a false negative. Likewise I have had probably 8 negative gonorrhea and chlymidia tests

Customer:

Or perhaps soemthing like Trich or NGU, or HPV, that is currently not testable for men?

Mysticdoc :

I mean the test before treatment should be more accurate

Customer:

Right, which does make me fairly confident

Customer:

Go ahead

Mysticdoc :

and if your white cell count is normal currently, the tests should be accurate as well.

Customer:

What about any of the STDs Ive mentioned, could they potentially cause chronic testicular pain?

Customer:

I really think I'm getting worked up over STD and it's very likely NOT that but I'm curious to know

Mysticdoc :

I did not get your last reply.

Customer:

9:17 PM

9:17 PM

Mysticdoc :

Correct, sometimes may not be detectable.

Mysticdoc :

Antibiotic therapy can tried like doxycycline orally and ceftriaxone shot

Customer:

Can any of the StDs I mentioned cause almost daily testicular pain?

Mysticdoc :

it is the chronic inflammation that will cause it.

Customer:

Chronic inflammation from what?

Customer:

Can you be specific about which STDs from the list I mentioned would possibly cause chronic testicular pain (presimably from inflammation)

Mysticdoc :

gonorrhea, chlamydia more commonly.

Mysticdoc :

Also non std infection is possible.

Customer:

Not HSV Or HPV?

Mysticdoc :

chronic prostatitis is also common.

Customer:

I actually haven't shown any flora in my urine cultures, which is weird

Customer:

Chronic prostatitis, I will look into that

Mysticdoc :

that is common with prostatitis.

Mysticdoc :

in fact for prostatitis, a trial of antibiotic for 6 weeks is tried.

Mysticdoc :

cipro is preferred.

Customer:

Ok, great

Customer:

Just to be clear -- are you suggesting this is not a viral infection?

Mysticdoc :

no it is not.

Mysticdoc :

very unlikely.

Customer:

Well clearly since it's antibiotics you sugget

Mysticdoc :

correct

Customer:

But you odn't know of any viral infections that would cause chronic testicular pain I mean

Mysticdoc :

viral infction does not cause it

Customer:

That is good to know

Mysticdoc :

welcome

Customer:

I was kind of worried about HSV or HPV potentially being a cause for the testicular pain but from what you're saying that is very unlikely

Mysticdoc :

no that should not be worrisome

Customer:

It's strange because the urologist I saw immediately dismissed any prostate issues as a potential cause which given that I've had now multiple rounds of STD testing, urine cultures, etc that have always showed no viral or bacterial infection.. I mean, what else could it be?

Customer:

Esp because the CPPS/CP thing seems to fit my symptoms and your info is aligning with that

Mysticdoc :

I can't think of anything else.

Customer:

Right

Customer:

Nothing else seems to make any sense

Mysticdoc :

CPPS is the diagnosis when nothing else can be found.

Customer:

You're being very helpful, by the way

Mysticdoc :

very welcome

Customer:

I am going in for a 2nd ultrasound on the testicles

Mysticdoc :

ok see if anything is detectable like cyst or inflammation.

Customer:

At which point if it shows nothing in addition to the handful of engative viral/bacterial blood/urine testing I am basically down to CPPS at that point

Customer:

Ok

Customer:

What's a long-term outlook if it's some sort of chronic prostatitis

Customer:

It seems very difficult to treat

Mysticdoc :

usually improves over time.

Mysticdoc :

there will be some flare ups.

Customer:

I also wonder if I'm magnifying the symptoms psychologically

Mysticdoc :

but gradually body resolves the issue

Customer:

ok

Mysticdoc :

unlikely.

Mysticdoc :

I will suggest you to go ahead with cipro for 6 weeks.

Customer:

Is is possible for the CP to be related to my autoimmune conditon?

Mysticdoc :

that is possible.

Mysticdoc :

probably that may be the cause

Customer:

Ok

Customer:

I then wonder if the Remicade is only making it worse

Customer:

By sort of not allowing my body to work past it

Mysticdoc :

hard to say

Mysticdoc :

but probably you have no other option.

Customer:

To stop the Remicade you mean?

Mysticdoc :

correct

Customer:

Ok

Customer:

I will look into that

Customer:

Thanks for your help

Mysticdoc :

sure

Mysticdoc :

It was my pleasure to help you today.
Best wishes,
Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

https://pearl.etherapi.com/connectme/152

Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist