Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have had off and not sinus issues for about 5 years. Went

I have had off and not sinus issues for about 5 years. Went to ENT about 4 years ago and was told it is allergy related. My question is...is there a way to tell for sure that I have an actual infection that requires antibiotics before I go to the doctor? For example, right now I have had an earache off and on for about 2 weeks and sinus congestion however today my right ear hurts and when I swallow the right side of my throat hurts and my right ear hurts and my nasal congestion is yellow/green. I only want to take an antibiotic if it is truly needed and will help. If I go to Urgent Care or my doctor they will just give me an antibiotic regardless. Is there a sure way of determining if it is an infection before I go through another doctor visit?
Dr. Hasan :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name is***** and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also.

Dr. Hasan :

I am an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist myself.

Customer:

Great!

Dr. Hasan :

Do you have fever?

Customer:

No

Dr. Hasan :

Headache?

Customer:

The ENT did allergy testing and I was positive for many of the allergens.

Dr. Hasan :

pain on pressing the area above eyes or on cheeks?

Customer:

At times headache pressure...yes...mostly at night though.

Dr. Hasan :

Pain on pressing the ear from outside?

Customer:

No pain above eyes, but a little tender on cheeks, but I wouldn't say it is painful.

Customer:

Yes, ear is tender when I touche it from the outside.

Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot for your input.

Customer:

Sneezing quite a bit.

Customer:

slight cough....not terrible.

Dr. Hasan :

Yes it sounds like bacterial infection for which you may need antibiotics because ;

Dr. Hasan :

the colour of discharge when green is most likely related to infection.

Dr. Hasan :

The pain on pressing the cheek is also seen in bacterial infections.

Dr. Hasan :

These are two main symptoms.

Dr. Hasan :

The doctor can take a swab from your nasal secretions and can send them for culture and sensitivity test.

Customer:

Thank you for the info, I will get to the doctor's this evening. I appreciate all of your assistance and information! Very helpful!

Dr. Hasan :

This will not only tell the bacteria involved (if any) and will tell the appropriate antibiotic also.

Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome, I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer:

Thank you! Have a great day!

Dr. Hasan :

:)