Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I am doing a VERY intense exercise routine and my Creatin

Hi! I am doing a...
Hi! I am doing a VERY intense exercise routine and my Creatin Kinase is kind of high ranking at 850 U/I I was wondering if it is something normal due to the exercise or if I should check further about it? thanks!!
8/24/2013
911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
911DOC :

Do you know the normal values for this laboratory test? they are usually printed on your lab results... different labs have different normal values...

911DOC :

standing by

Customer:

Yes, hi the normal values are <190

911DOC :

okay good

911DOC :

so levels of near 1000 would be very concerning for something called

911DOC :

at age 24 with intense workouts this number is ***** particularly concerning IF you are keeping up your hydration, if you have no other medical problems, and if you have no kidney problems

911DOC :

your urine should be a light yellow color

911DOC :

if you have proper hydration

911DOC :

standing by

Customer:

OMG! thanks im a bit freaked out now

911DOC :

don't freak out

911DOC :

do you have any medical problems or kidney problems

911DOC :

?

Customer:

my urine is a bright yellow due to vitamins and I drink around 2 liters of gatorade/powerade a day during excersice

911DOC :

okay

Customer:

no kidney problems in my whole life

911DOC :

good

911DOC :

why was the lab drawn?

Customer:

oh just because my general yearly check up

911DOC :

strange lab to draw in a general physical exam

911DOC :

not common over hear at least

911DOC :

do you have a follow up with your physician?

Customer:

I live in europe, maybe that explains it, well he told me to come in a half a year for another check up

911DOC :

so he's not concerned.... i'm not either based on what you told me....

911DOC :

are you by chance taking supplements?

Customer:

yep, Im consuming a recovery drink after every workout and also im having a protein shake called up your mass from MHP http://mhpstrong.com/presents/up-your-mass/ plus the vitamin supplement

911DOC :

okay

911DOC :

no worries

911DOC :

if i were you I would give your doctor a call, tell him you are a bit concerned about your elevated CK, and try to have a chat with him

911DOC :

so that he is aware of your workouts

911DOC :

and your supplement use

911DOC :

you are 24 and in good shape

911DOC :

if you took a world class soccer player or downhiller off the pitch or off the slopes after a competition

911DOC :

their CK levels would be very high indeed

911DOC :

and they would come down with hydration and recovery

911DOC :

so I'm not sure why this lab was ordered

911DOC :

and it is probably merely a result of your vigorous workouts

911DOC :

but worth a call to your physician

911DOC :

standing by

Customer:

OK thanks Doc you calmed me down a bit more now

911DOC :

good

Customer:

I will call my doctor

911DOC :

any other questions for me tonight

911DOC :

?

Customer:

no that would be it! thank you very much!!!

911DOC :

great

911DOC :

if this has been helpful

911DOC :

please consider leaving positive feedback

911DOC :

very nice speaking with you

911DOC :

and thanks for your question

Customer:

I sure will thanks! all the best! have a great day!

911DOC :

you too

911DOC :

:)

911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
911DOC
911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.