Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have an swollen lymph node only on the right side. I went

Hi, I have an swollen...
Hi, I have an swollen lymph node only on the right side. I went to the ENT about a week ago. He told me that it doesn't feel malignant and not too worry, and that it could be from the strep throat I had in the end of June I'm wondering could allergies also have something to do with it? I'm wondering how long this will take to go down? It's very rubbery and based on the way I tilt my head sometimes I don't feel it at all other times if I stretch my neck out for example I can see it, but it's not too big. Just annoying that it's there. Please let me know.
8/24/2013
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-
Do you have swollen lymph on right side of neck?
Since how long you have this enlarged lymph node?
It it painful or painless?
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

On the right side. It's painless.

Dear *****,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.
Lymph node infection is called Lymphadenitis.It is a common complication of certain bacterial infections such as streptococcus or staphylococcus.A biopsy and culture of the affected area or node may reveal the cause of the inflammation.
As you had the history of strep infection in the end of june,the painless enlarged lymphnodes you are having is most probably because of this infection only.
There are certain tests that can be done for confirmation:
-Complete blood count(CBC)
-Fine needle aspiration cytology(FNAC)
-Antinuclear antibody tests
-Autoantibody tests
But I do not think that these tests are required at this stage.You just need to wait & watch.
This is not malignant & there is nothing to worry.I agree with your doctor.It may take few weeks to get it subside by its own.Just wait & watch your symptoms.Till then take Tab.Ibuprofen 400 mg twice a day.It will reduce the inflammation and swelling and is available at counter without prescription.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Dear *****,
I have seen that you have rated my answer as poor service.Can you let me know what exactly do you want to know & why you are not satisfied.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert

Sorry I didn't mean to do that. Could it be from allergies? I'm a bit of a hypochondriac and want to put my worries to rest.

Dear *****,
I am happy to answer your follow up question.
Yes,it is possible that allergies can also cause these enlarged lymph nodes but there should be associated infection or inflammatory reaction.Certain auto immune diseases can also cause this.
The most probable cause of enlarged lymph nodes usually is an infection & it is quite common that lymph nodes of one side of neck gets swell after strep infection.
These enlarged lymph nodes can get subside of their own within few weeks to few months.If still it persists after 3 months of first appearance,then you will require the above described tests.
Fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) may then be done.In this technique, a thin, hollow needle is inserted into the mass/lump to extract cells that will be examined under a microscope.Based on this the exact diagnosis can be made.
Hope this helped.
Please DO NOT choose bad or poor service rating.Use reply button to get back.My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
If you are satisfied with my answer,please choose positive rating.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor

I'm also on my period. Could it be hormonal as well?

Dear *****,
I am happy to help you & will do my best to provide you the excellent service here.
No,these enlarged lymph nodes cannot be due to hormonal changes in body or any hormonal disorder.
It is not related to your menstrual period.
Swelling of the lymph glands is typically a result of local or widespread inflammation or infection.Infection caused due to bacteria, virus, parasites and fungus is the most common reason for this condition.
As you had the history of strep infection in the end of june,the painless enlarged lymph nodes you are having is most probably because of this infection only.
It cannot be hormonal & is not related to your periods.
Hope this helped.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert

Ok cause it felt bigger before my period and then it shrunk. Am I just crazy?

Dear *****,
The changes in hormone levels can effect the size of lymph node but cannot be the cause of this.
This means that your size may vary according to your periods but this cannot be the causative factor of an enlarged lymph node.
Hope this helped.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Hi Amanda
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?
Have you consulted the doctor?
Have you undergone these tests?
Let me know,
Dr.Robert

Hi Dr. Robert,

I started taking Allegra. I have not done these test. the node is still a little enlarged and now my tonsil is a little enlarged as well with white patches on it, but other than that no new symptoms so going to wait another month until I get the biopsy. Should I be worried about cancer if it's still enlarged at that point?

Relist: Incomplete answer.
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Hello from JA
I am actually a double board certified US doctor and would be glad to hep you with this as I have noticed your relist.
Would you like to continue and rate positive as satisfied?
If so, how large is your node currently

Yes please. It's about 2cm big. I went to the ENT two weeks ago who told me to keep an eye on it if it got bigger which it hasn't, and I've had no additional symptoms. I had strep at the end of June and I also have bad allergies. It's been very hot in LA which is not helping. I started taking Allegra about 3 days ago. I'm just worried the amount of time it's been there, because when you google that everything says cancer. But I have no other symptoms.

What does it feel like to touch
Can you move it around under the skin?

For example if I move my head a certain way you wouldn't even know it's there, but if I extend my neck out you can kind of see it. I can move it yes.

OK
This does not sound like a cancerous node at all.
Your ENT examined it an felt the same.
Your age, lack of other symptoms, and I presume normal labs makes cancer not likely at all.
I agree you can watch it.
And stop worrying at this point.
If it persists, for peace of mind mainly, it is very easy to do a skinny needle sample for the lab.
However, I am seeing no concerns about cancer here.
Please let me know if you have further questions.
Please don’t forget a positive rating.

Thank you very much Dr. Thomas. May I ask if I could get a number for you in case I worry about something else? I can be a bit of a hypochondriac and would very much like reassurance like this from time to time. :)

You can find me here at JA daily.
You can use my name in the title of the question and the request link.
I am here everyday without fail.
Please don’t forget a positive rating.

Hi Dr. Thomas

I noticed I have puss pockets on both sides of my tonsils. I have been gargling salt water. My lymph node seems to have gotten a little smaller, and when I press on it it feels a little tender. Does this mean I am healing? It's def allergies, I have been taking Allegra but the mucus in the back of my throat is not going away.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
I notice that you posted another question for Dr. Thomas, but also opted out Dr. Thomas.
Were you looking for assistance from another expert?
Or did you opt out Dr, Thomas in error?

Yes could you please respond. Thank you. :)

I will be glad to assist you.
It will help if you could first provide some further information
When you say that there are pus pockets, is this a new finding?
Is there any associated redness or swelling of the tonsils?

Yes. No redness and no swelling of tonsil. White patches on the one and just puss pockets around the tonsils. Could this be allergies?

Thank you for the additional information.

Allergies certainly can cause irritation of the tonsils, but when pus is developing, there would be more of a concern that the tonsils are becoming infected. There would be a greater concern if there were redness and swelling, but any pus has some level of concern. If the problem is only local irritation with no evidence of infection, allergy would be one of the most common causes.

There is another common possibility that could cause whiteness on the tonsils, a condition called tonsil stones or tonsilloliths. This is the accumulation of hard white material in the infolding of the tonsils and are generally not a concern. It would require a proper examination to assess for this problem, but without other associated symptoms, this problem is more of a possibility.

From the perspective of the lymph nodes, it is a good sign that the lymph node is smaller, and is a general sign that it is healing. It may take quite some time for it to completely resolve, as the other expert noted above, but as long as the size is getting progressively smaller, that is always a good sign.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service and a complete answer. If I have completely answered your question, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I can be compensated for my time. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Well I don't know what it is, but there are extra lumps around my tonsils, and I feel a tightening in my throat. I think it's allergies. Should I be worried?

If you are not having other symptoms, then allergies would be more likely, and it would be reasonable to not be worried, other than it would be appropriate to take an allergy medicine, such as you are doing with the Allegra.

I have really bad post nasal drip and the Allegra is not working for that. What should I do for that? I believe it's the mucus traveling up my throat at night that is effecting my tonsils.

This symptom is much more commonly due to allergies. The usual next step for persistent post nasal drip when an antihistamine is not sufficient is to use a nose spray for the allergies. The most commonly used nose sprays by physicians are one of the steroid nose sprays, such as Nasonex or Flonase. However, since these are not available for home use without a prescription, lay people tend to first use those interventions that can be obtained, such as NasalCrom or nasal irrigation. NasalCrom is a nose spray of cromolyn, a medicine that blocks the ability of the body to release histamine. Nasal irrigation, such as using a NetiPot, uses warm salt water poured into the nose to rinse out the nose and sinuses, and the combination of the warmth and salt will soothe irritated surfaces in the nose and sinuses. Some people do not like to pour salt water into their nose, but for those people that can do this, many people find that it is helpful. If you are not able to get relief with these home interventions, then it would be appropriate to discuss the use of a steroid nose spray with your doctor.

Ok so I shouldn't worry about the current inflamation of my tonsils. I don't see puss just lumps near the tonsil and it feels like something is caught in the back of my throat.

This description sounds more like tonsilloliths and are not a reason for worry. It would be appropriate to manage the allergies as discussed above, but no other concern or treatment is necessary at this point.

Thank you. Allergies have been very bad lately I'm in LA and there is a heat wave going on which makes them all the worse. I've never had such bad allergies. However I had taking pills and all this so you think the nasal spray is the best option? Any natural remedies you recommend?

the nasal spray would be the best option at this point, but if you cannot get in to see a doctor quickly, the home interventions would be reasonable. There are a couple of natural supplements that may help allergies, but like most supplements, there are not the same level of evidence to support the use of these supplement compared to the studies of the medicines noted above. Supplements that may help include butterbur, quercetin, or bromelain.

Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor