Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I'm 33 yrs old and am presenting a severely swollen and sore

Hi, I'm 33 yrs old...
Hi, I'm 33 yrs old and am presenting a severely swollen and sore throat, which puts a searing pressure on my right ear when I swallow. I went to an urgent care facility yesterday afternoon and they did a strep test swab that came back negative for strep. The doctor told me I most likely have mono and told me to rest and take Motrin and Cepacol for my sore throat. I'm miserable, though. Is there anything else that I can do to alleviate this pain? I cannot sleep or swallow and I normally have a high tolerance for pain! Also, how long have I been contagious? Specifically I saw my girlfriend for the weekend (she's in the Navy) and I'm afraid that I may have gotten her sick, even though I didn't start feeling poorly until 2 days after my return home. Thanks for your advice.
8/23/2013
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Customer:

Yes, please.

Customer:

I'm very appreciative of any advice you can give me.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

well, firstly I would say that your doctor has given you good advise

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but an ER is often not enough for such problems

Dr. P. Jyoti :

they are more geared towards critical diseases and tend to give short shrift to more simple problems

Dr. P. Jyoti :

if your throat pain persists, then you should see a primary care doctor for this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

other steps that you should take for this are:

Dr. P. Jyoti :

warm saline gurgle - take a warm glass of water and add a pinch of salt and gurgle with this, this can work wonders in giving relief

Dr. P. Jyoti :

menthol steam inhalation - take a bowl of steaming water and add menthol salt to it - inhale the steam - this will be very helpful

Dr. P. Jyoti :

use a humidifier in the room at night if you have one

Customer:

Would a Z Pack help with the swelling?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

also take Vitamin C supplements 1000 mg per day which will help

Dr. P. Jyoti :

yes, Z pack can help, specially if there is bacterial infection

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but you need to see a doctor to get this advise

Dr. P. Jyoti :

do not take this on your own, instead see a doctor for this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

these steps will help you

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

Ok, I just didn't want to have to pay another copay just to be told there is nothing else that can be done lol I don't mind going to the doctor if I know there is something that can be done

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer:

In addition to vitamin C, will L-Lysine helps?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

yes, a Z pack would help in this, and I think most doctors would give a script for this for such severe infection

Dr. P. Jyoti :

L lysine will help also, but Vitamin C is more useful for inflammation

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

Also, what about the 2nd part to my question: How long have I most likely been contagious? My girlfriend is in the Navy and I want her to have the heads up if she can expect to get sick from me. I didn't feel poorly until 2 days after I returned home from seeing her, but I understand that this can be dormant for a few weeks before you start showing symptoms.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

contagious period is believed to start from when you have infections

Dr. P. Jyoti :

so you have not infected her in all probability

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but in fact there is still a lot of things we dont know about mono, and the contagious period is one of them

Customer:

Should she begin taking Vitamin C supplements to be sure?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but in general it is accepted that contagious period starts from the symptoms

Dr. P. Jyoti :

yes, she can start vitamin c supplements

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hope that satisfies your query. If so, please choose a positive rating.

If you have any other queries, do ask. Wish you good health and a quick recovery. Bonus is always welcome!

Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer:

On the other end of things, how will I know that I'm not contagious any longer? I work with children at church and I do not want to pass this misery on!

Dr. P. Jyoti :

contagious period in mono is quite long

Dr. P. Jyoti :

it may last upto a year even

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but usually a period of 6 weeks will get over the most contagious period

Customer:

Oh wow. So I can't kiss my girlfriend for a year?! lol

Dr. P. Jyoti :

after that you need to take precautions like adequate hygeine, washing hands, not sharing towels with kids, etc

Dr. P. Jyoti :

not at all, precautions are needed for children mainly

Dr. P. Jyoti :

not necessary for children

Customer:

Ok.

Customer:

I just wondered because my girlfriend has another long weekend coming up in 3 weeks and we are planning to see each other and I didn't want to have to cancel, but I certainly don't want her getting sick from this either.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

there is no need to avoid intimate contact in adults, EBV is so common in the community that she would be exposed anyway. Only in chidren

Customer:

Ok. I appreciate your time.

Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Hello Jamie,
How are you doing now? Did you see your doctor? I would like to follow up with you on this, do write back to me when you have seen your doctor.
Thank you for your positive rating to my answer.
I am very pleased that I was able to help you.
You may shortly receive an email survey to rate my services from JA. Please take the time to answer the survey with positive ratings for me, because the survey is actually very important for me on this JA site and your good ratings will help me immensely.
If you have any further questions, either on this issue or a different issue, I would be happy to help you. Just 'request' me or put 'For Dr. P. Jyoti only' at the beginning of your question so that I get to work with you again.
It was a great pleasure for me and JA to be able to help you.
JA has also started a new feature where you can add an expert to your list of favorite experts so that you can request them directly
I would be honored to be included in your list.
Thank you,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD