Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

MY husband has been experiencing dizziness on bending his

head forward or backward for...
MY husband has been experiencing dizziness on bending his head forward or backward for the past 18 months
ever since he had his ears cleaned by an ear nose throat specialist. First he had the suction method and there still remained something still attached to the ear canal that would not be removed with the suction method so the doctor
took him into a different room put a device in his ear which my husband heard 4 or 5 electrical "snaps" or
"crackling" sounds. Since then he has experienced this dizziness I just explained. He has reported this to his main
doctor but she has referred him back to the ear nose and throat dr.
. Not until just now did he realize the connection between the onset of the dizziness and the "crackling" procedure.
done 18 months ago. He is wondering what this procedure was. He did not ask that dr yet.
He thinks it may have been a laser beam or something like that.
I am worried that the laser beam was too strong and his dizziness is permanent.
8/20/2013
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am an ENT specialist and can help you on this

Customer:

Hello Dr Jyoti, Have you read my question?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

yes I have

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i can assure you that laser was not used for this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

laser is not used for wax removal under any circumstances

Dr. P. Jyoti :

nor is any other electrical equipment as such

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but what is used is syringing

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am sure that what he was subjected to by the specialist was syringing

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this method is used to remove wax

Dr. P. Jyoti :

since he has had dizziness since then, there are two possibilities:

Dr. P. Jyoti :

one is that a perforation of the ear occurred during the syringing

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this can cause dizziness, specially if there was a fistula

Dr. P. Jyoti :

secondly, the possibility remains that the dizziness is not directly related to the ear wax removal and just happened to coincide at the same time

Customer:

what is fistula

Dr. P. Jyoti :

his symptoms are typical of a cervical disc lesion

Dr. P. Jyoti :

a labyrinthine fistula is a connection between the inner ear and middle ear, this can cause dizziness

Dr. P. Jyoti :

getting back to my answer, this sounds typical of a cervical disc lesion

Dr. P. Jyoti :

he needs to do an MRI of the cervical spines

Dr. P. Jyoti :

so my advise is - see a new ENT specialist for a second opinion

Customer:

what would have been crackling sound he heard on the 2nd procedure after the suctioning

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ask about a tympanic membrane perforation

Dr. P. Jyoti :

the crackling sound is due to the water

Dr. P. Jyoti :

water when it hits the tympanic membrane causes this crackling sound which sounds very loud

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you may have noticed this sometimes when water gets into the ears during a bath

Dr. P. Jyoti :

as i said, see a second ENT and ask about two things

Dr. P. Jyoti :

tympanic membrane perforation and cervical disc lesion or any other cause of vertigo

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this will lead to a solution for him

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you should see a different ENT since you have lost trust in this specialist

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but my feeling is that the cleaning is not related and it is due to a cervical disc lesion

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

my husband wants youto know that at the same time he was put on a regimen of

Customer:

sodium flouride by his dentist as well as ambien by his psychiatrist to help with sleeping

Dr. P. Jyoti :

well, that would not have caused any significant difference

Dr. P. Jyoti :

it is not significant as far as the dizziness is concerned

Customer:

very good to know this thank you very much for your expertise, Dr.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Customer:

How do we give you the bonus? It is not saying here how to do it.I clicked the "excellent service" button.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

on clicking the excellent service, it should automatically take you to a page where you can give this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

the rating has not yet been done, please try again

Dr. P. Jyoti :

and thanks for your excellent rating and bonus

Customer:

ok, thank you again and good health to you as well

Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Hello Ruth,
How are you doing now? Did you see a new ENTr? I would like to follow up with you on this, do write back to me when you have seen your doctor.
Thank you for your positive rating to my answer.
I am very pleased that I was able to help you.
You may shortly receive an email survey to rate my services from JA. Please take the time to answer the survey with positive ratings for me, because the survey is actually very important for me on this JA site and your good ratings will help me immensely.
If you have any further questions, either on this issue or a different issue, I would be happy to help you. Just 'request' me or put 'For Dr. P. Jyoti only' at the beginning of your question so that I get to work with you again.
It was a great pleasure for me and JA to be able to help you.
JA has also started a new feature where you can add an expert to your list of favorite experts so that you can request them directly
I would be honored to be included in your list.
Thank you,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD