Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

My wife (86 yrs) has a distended abdomen, very hard. Her

My wife (86 yrs) has a distended abdomen, very hard. Her gynocologist finds nothing wrong.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.First I need a little more information-
Does your wife has any pain in abdomen?
Any previous known medical illness?
Is her bowel movements normal?
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is no pain. No medical illness connected to this. Bowel movement has not been normal. She had diarrea about two weeks ago but that has cleared up and bowel movement is normal now.

Dear customer,

Thank you for providing quick additional info.

Abdominal distension is a sense of increased abdominal pressure that involves an actual measurable change in the circumference of one's abdomen. It is typically a symptom of an underlying disease or dysfunction in the body, rather than an illness in its own.

The main causes of generalised abdominal distension are five Fs:

1.Fat (obesity)

2.Faeces (constipation)

3.Fetus (pregnancy)-( Not possible here)

4.Flatus (gastrointestinal)

5.Fluid (ascites).

As the gynecological causes has been ruled out,so most probable cause of this abdominal distension seems to be building up of fluid in abdomen or due to excessive gas in abdomen. Other conditions that can cause distended abdomen are:irritablebowel syndrome(IBS),mechanical obstruction,dyspepsia,Lactose intolerance. When fluid accumulates in the abdominal cavity, it is called ascites. Cirrhosis of the liver is the most common cause of ascites.

She needs following tests:

-Ultrasound of abdomen,

-Colonoscopy,

-Endoscopy(upper GI exam)

-Stool examination & culture,

-Urinalysis

Although this does not seem to be serious,but a quick/early appointment with gastro doctor is required.So for confirmation,I advice fr her to make an appointment with gasto doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly. Diuretics(water pills) may be prescribed of fluid is confirmed in abdomen.Other treatments will be done to treat the root cause.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you

Kind Regards,

Dr. Robert

Hi
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?
Had your wife consulted the gasrto doctor?
Were these tests done?
What underlying cause was detected?
Let me know,
Dr.Robert