Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I've been battling really bad constipation so my Doctor

suggested that I get a...
I've been battling really bad constipation so my Doctor suggested that I get a CBC Test and also a CT Scan. The CBC test came back with High NE% it was 76.5 on a scale of 30-75, and Low LY % that was 13.9 on a scale of 15-50, and a low EO% it was 0.7 on a scale of 1.3-8.0. The CT scan showed that I had an enlarged spleen at 21cm. Is there anything to be concerned about with these findings?
8/16/2013
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

Mysticdoc :

Do you have any other symptoms besides constipation?

Mysticdoc :

Also, did you travel outside recently?

Mysticdoc :

Any history of malaria or any other infection in the past?

Customer:

No to all those questions.

Customer:

I was in Italy about 2 years ago.

Customer:

I'm tired a lot but I don't know if that's because I am stressed out at work and life. I recently went through a break up with my fiance of 12 years, and I am running for City Council where I live.

Customer:

I also suffer from Arnold Chiari Malformation Type I

Mysticdoc :

ok

Mysticdoc :

ACM type 1 is not related here.

Mysticdoc :

See, malaria can cause splenomegaly

Customer:

How can you get Malaria?

Mysticdoc :

from mosquito bites

Mysticdoc :

that is a common infective cause.

Mysticdoc :

malaria testing will rule that out.

Mysticdoc :

Now, did you have any liver test done?

Mysticdoc :

liver problem can cause splenomegaly.

Mysticdoc :

Also do you have anemia?

Customer:

My liver had some kind of fat on it, but the Doctor said that was normal.

Customer:

Here is the first page of my blood work.

Customer:

Customer:

That's page 2/2

Customer:

My Bowels have started to work over the past few days again though. But it's not where I used to be.

Mysticdoc :

Thanks

Mysticdoc :

That is convenient.

Mysticdoc :

Your results look normal.

Mysticdoc :

liver function and electrolytes.

Mysticdoc :

the mild white cell abnormality is not concerning.

Mysticdoc :

your red blood cells and platelets are normal.

Customer:

So you don't think it's cancer or leukemia or anything?

Mysticdoc :

Can be from viral infection --explaining your recent BM problem.

Mysticdoc :

No it is not leukemia or cancer from these blood tests.

Mysticdoc :

However, splenomegaly is not fully explained by your blood tests.

Customer:

He referred me to a Hematologist this morning so it has me concerned.

Customer:

Is 21cm considered greatly enlarged?

Mysticdoc :

Moderately enlarged.

Mysticdoc :

Except for that Ct scan did not provide any further information.

Mysticdoc :

cysts can cause enlargement besides liver problem.

Mysticdoc :

but your liver looks normal for now.

Mysticdoc :

rarely, lymphomas can cause enlarged spleen.

Mysticdoc :

that can only be ascertained by splenic biopsy.

Mysticdoc :

but you do not have any other enlarged lymph nodes

Mysticdoc :

that makes lymphoma unlikely.

Customer:

I remember reading the CT Scan report (I don't have it on me) and it said I don't have something with my lymphnodes

Mysticdoc :

correct

Mysticdoc :

that is why does not sound concerning.

Customer:

The only thing that was abnormal with it was spleen.

Customer:

I also did a complete MRI (Brain, Neck, Spine) for an ACM follow up this week and all is normal.

Mysticdoc :

ok

Mysticdoc :

that is reassuring.

Customer:

What do you think WORST CASE scenario could be?

Mysticdoc :

a slow growing lymphoma which is often left untreated without any symptoms or change in bloo count.

Mysticdoc :

still that is not bad

Customer:

Can that kill you?

Mysticdoc :

no

Mysticdoc :

normal life expectancy

Customer:

GREAT! So I can rule out cancer, and leukemia in your opinion then?

Mysticdoc :

yes correct

Customer:

See my Doctor didn't really tell me much about results, he just told me "I have reviewed the CT results. Overall, looks ok.
No organ problems. The spleen is slightly enlarged. This is sometimes seen after viral infections. Some fat in the liver ( not unusual) .
No colitis, or other acute bowel abnormality. We may want to consider a Hematology consult with regards ***** ***** spleen."

Customer:

He is a good friend of mine so I don't want to bother him with questions (even though that's his job, and he doesn't mind if I do, I just don't want to be annoying).

Mysticdoc :

I understand

Mysticdoc :

That is why I gave you more detailed explanation that will reassure your mind.

Customer:

So I'm not dying (any quicker than we all are), and I shouldn't fear my hematologist appointment?

Mysticdoc :

no you are not.

Mysticdoc :

Please do not worry.

Mysticdoc :

Hematologist appointment should not scare you.

Customer:

Worst case scenerio is lymphoma?

Mysticdoc :

correct

Mysticdoc :

but a slow growing one not aggressive one

Customer:

How are those treated?

Mysticdoc :

mostly not treated unless you develop anemia, or low white or platelet count or enlarging lymph nodes or severe fatigue, night sweats for example.

Mysticdoc :

Treatment consists of splenectomy and chemotherapy

Customer:

One more question and I'll leave you be!

Can stress, exercise, depression cause any of these symptoms? I don't think I'm depressed because I'm eating normally, but I am under A TON of stress between work and the campaign.

Customer:

I'm 6'2 300lbs and I've been training for my first 5K. that's why I ask about the exercise aspect, because that's when all the symptoms started.

Mysticdoc :

They will not cause enlarged spleen though.

Mysticdoc :

and they an upset your bowel.

Customer:

Can I continue golfing, running, and playing softball? I didn't ask my Doctor that.

Mysticdoc :

I will suggest you to avoid any contact sports to avoid any injury to the spleen.

Mysticdoc :

That can cause splenic rupture.

Mysticdoc :

So golfing, running is ok.

Mysticdoc :

Soft ball no

Customer:

Ok....I will let you go thank you so much for all your help, and putting my mind at ease.

Mysticdoc :

very welcome

Mysticdoc :

It was my pleasure to help you today.

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist