Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

COULD A NASAL-SINUS INFECTION THAT DOESNT RESPOND TO ANTIBIOTICS

COULD A NASAL-SINUS INFECTION THAT DOESN'T RESPOND TO ANTIBIOTICS BE A FUNGAL INFECTION?

Hello and thank you for the question.

Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

There are few important possibilities that need to be considered.

First, if you have been taking antibiotic for few days with no effect than it could be due to a resistant bacterial infection; means the antibiotic you are taking is not working against the causative bug responsible for infection.

A culture swab should be taken from the discharge, which is the single best test to identify the exact underlying organism responsible for the infection and will also help identify the drugs which will work best against this bug and eradicate it.

Yes there is also a possibility that this infection can be due to a fungal organism (and some times the fungal and bacterial infection can co-exist); in this case anti-fungal drugs will be required to control the problem.

Again a culture test will identify if this infection is from fungus or bacteria --- so its imperative to proceed with it (if your doctor is convinced that this is due to an infection ---- not due to allergies).

Selection of appropriate antibiotic and appropriate dose of the antibiotic is the key to treat any infection successfully.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.