Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have a salty palette and I like food really salty. I know

this is not good for...
I have a salty palette and I like food really salty. I know this is not good for my kidneys and I am trying to cut down on my salt intake but it is very hard.
Sometimes, I feel the sides of my lower back (right side in particular, above the butt cheek), are sore. The soreness seems to come from inside my body but I am not sure. If I remember correctly back at school, I think the teacher said the kidneys are positioned somewhere there and it is at back of the body not front. I am 27.
Am I having some kidneys problem? Is this one of the symptoms or am I just being paranoid?
8/10/2013
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

An increased intake of salt is only a problem in individuals who suffer from kidney disease and high blood pressure. Consuming a lot of dietary salt is not good for health - agreed - in the long term it can cause problems with blood pressure but is never the only thing responsible for causing kidney disease. There are many factors that can cause kidney disorders directly, salt is not a direct cause of kidney disorders, it is a common misconception. No matter how much salt you put in your diet for taste, an edible salty diet will never cause harm to the kidneys.
Kidneys are located in the flanks on both sides, they are positioned retro-peritoneally which makes them more towards the back, and they are positioned just below to where the rib cage ends on back. The pain caused by kidneys is at the back of the flanks and not the buttocks.
I think it is safe to say that you are not suffering from kidney disorders.
The common symptoms are excruciating pain in the flanks, blood in urine, burning urine, or sometimes decreased production of urine, swelling of the face and puffiness around the eyes, swelling of the feet and other dependant portions of the body, generalized itching etc. There are many more symptoms that depend on what type of kidney condition it is.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating if satisfied.
If you have more queries or need more information then please leave a positiv rating.
Best.

Hi Doctor thank you for replying me. That's a relief to know.

Then what would the soreness I feel sometimes be associated to? Is it just sore muscles from sitting?

Thanks for the details.

If there are no other symptoms then most pains in that area are usually either due to muscle strain or nerve impingement.
Nerve pains are usually sharp and intense and occur after an odd posture or sitting or bending down for long periods of time, they start from above and go down and are accompanied by tingling and numbness in the extremity or the area affected.
Where as muscle aches are dull aching kind of pains and are associated with muscle spasms and are not accompanied by tingling or numbness.
Application of Ibuprofen liquigel thrice a day with gentle massage and rest will alleviate the symptoms in case this is a muscular pain.
Hope this helps.
Best.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Sounds like there is nothing for me to worry at this stage.

Thank you Doctor.

that is correct. :)
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor