How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kaushik Your Own Question
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 4635
Experience:  Doctor ( General Medicine)
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Kaushik is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have very bad sciatica and have a high to tolerance to the

This answer was rated:

I have very bad sciatica and have a high to tolerance to the hydrocodone i was on but i was taking 8 a day and it worked well for me i was able to move around and do things after about 6 months it seemed allot better but now i get pain to the point i cant move i dont know what im doing to bring it on i go to the doc and have no health insurance they give me 12 pills and to come back in a couple of days i cant keep affording to do this its also a 45min drive which i cant do with my back in pain,I need to wait for someone to driv me,Im fed up being treated like i dont have a legit problem they seen my MRI from a few years ago as ive had this problem for many years now.Am i better off to go with an online doctor who can understand my pain better,I just moved to hawaii 1 year ago and im fed up with all the doc visits costing me money on the visit and gas for my car and they only give me a 2 day supply,someone please help me with this very real problem.
Greetings !

Welcome to the site !

I am Dr. Kaushik and i believe i can help you with your problem.

First of all i am sorry to learn about your struggle with your condition as sciatica is a long standing condition occurring mostly due to pinched spinal nerve ( cord compression). The unremitting relentless pain is the predominant symptom as you have been experiencing along with tingling and numbness sensations also occurring on and off.

Now it seems like after long term use of taking pain medications such as hydrocodone you probably have developed increased tolerance/ resistance against this drug and therefore it is not being as effective as before.

So what is required here is use of a pain relieving augmenting agent / drug which can provide the much needed control over the ever so continuous pain.

So what i suggest is that you ask your family doctor to get you started on the below mentioned drugs which in combination have clinically proved to be successful against such neuropathic pain like sciatica pain.

-- Lyrica ( Pregabalin ) at a dose of 75 mg at bedtime to begin with and then after 1 week raising the dose to 150 mg / day taken as a single dose at bedtime. This drug may lead to sleepiness therefore i suggest it's use at night time only so that your daily routine is not impaired due to the sleepiness that it may produce.

-- Methylcobalamin ( vitamin B12 supplement) at dose of 750 mg / day to start with taken as a single dose in the morning and then after 1 week raising the dose to 1500 mg / day.

-- These two medications once started shall take approximately 2-3 weeks to reach their peak levels in your body so as to provide any improvement in your sciatica pain but once the improvement starts then it will be a steady course of improvement over the course of time, so patience with these drugs is essential but they are most likely to work for you as they have been fairly effective in cases of neuropathic pain including sciatica.

These drugs need to be taken for at least 5-6 months to achieve significant recovery if not complete recovery.

Hydrocodone meanwhile may be continued as it to buy some time for these new drugs to produce their desired action against sciatica.Once these drugs get settled in your body and start producing the effects then the dose of hydrocdone may be reduced slowly over time under the supervision of your doctor.

Kindly discuss these options with your doctor and do the needful changes.I am quite hopeful that this will lead to some significant improvement in your condition.

You may contact me after 3 weeks of starting on the above mentioned drugs.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer.


Dr. Kaushik and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for your advice,since i have only been in hawaii for 1 year i cant seem to find a doctor that is good at taking care of my pain situation can you become my online doctor?is that allowed i have no health care.

Well yes i will be happy to answer your health related queries online but you got to know this before hand that prescription cannot be given to you through this medium that is online.

Next time when you need some help you may contact me here on this site by placing a question in my name ( i.e For Dr. Kaushik only) and i will get back to you as soon as possible.

Take care and try this drug regime.

God bless.