Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

My sister has a serious hoarding problem and it's getting

My sister has a serious hoarding problem and it's getting worse. Her house is a total health hazard. I checked up on her today. I live in another town and am older than she is and I need to get her help. The house if filthy! Filled with bugs and mouse turds. Where can I get help for her? Do I call the health department, code enforcement, she will never cooperate with anyone in the family.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing Internal Medicine Physician. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this excellent question
The best thing to do is to call adult protective services in your city. This is also known as APS.
I can help you find the number if you tell me your city.
APS will make sure she and the house is safe.
I'm very sorry you are going through this. It sounds difficult
Thanks for this excellent question
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That's a great answer! Don't know why I didn't think of that group. Thank you.

You're welcome. :)
Please don't forget a positive rating and I wish you both the best. :)
I appreciate the excellent rating.
I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/
I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Have talked to APS in Aurora, CO and they are familiar with my sister. Unfortunately, they can probably do nothing to help her as she won't cooperate with them any more than she cooperates with me. Also, in Aurora, CO, Code enforcement won't be involved even if it is an extreme health hazard. I have talked to them before. She will continue to live in filth. Apparently there are no answers. I don't want to wash my hands of her, but unfortunately she knows there has been contact with APS and she will be furious with me. She has a psychiatrist and if she says she is a competent adult, there will be nothing that I can do to help her. Still stuck.

Leslie.
If the house isn't safe they are legally obligated to act
If she gets hurt, your family could sue the city for millions