How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jbmd Your Own Question
jbmd, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 615
Experience:  Board Certified physician in Internal Medicine - 30+ years experience
Type Your Medical Question Here...
jbmd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife has been having upset stomach, diarrhea for 3 months

This answer was rated:

My wife has been having upset stomach, diarrhea for 3 months now. We live in the country a neighbor built a 1200 head cattle finishing building 1400 feet from us 4 months ago the odor is just awful rotten egg smell a nd ammonia. Been monitoring the ammonia where we live it tests 300 -450 ppb usually. The other day we had overcast and it jumped up to 26342 ppb ammonia then down to 7105. We are going to test for hydrogen sulfide now to. We have called the DNR and the EPA. Both say they can not do anything about odor
It all started when he filled it with cattle, I have had some issues to but not as severe as hers. Are we going to be forced to leave our home etc. I have tested positive for ecoli macroeid staphylococcus cocculas
nd now last week proteun mar
Every antibiotic claims to be resistant
Ciphro 14 days. Bactrim 10 days 100 mg's of Cleomicin 2 x daily for 5 days and nitro something for another 10 days . Nothing stops my uti. One day after antibiotics are gone bam it's back had ct scan on kidneys was fine creating and nun was fine
Platelets were low


I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that we have a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,


Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?
Has your wife been evaluated by a GI doctor?
What makes you think that the odor and ammonia from your neighbor is the cause of her difficulties?
Are there any other people near you who are exposed to the new farm setup? If so, are they having physical problems?
Are you interested in starting legal proceedings against your neighbor?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I been working with a group who has done studies on hydrogen sulfide and we have all the symptoms. He uit on axil and we are in a valley. Well hydrogen sulfide is heavier than air and settles in depressions. Just need to get our hydrogen sulfide readings now. We have documented the ammonia
being ove legal limits
It seems to me that in order to move forward with changing things you will need a medical expert, preferably a GI Doctor, to correlate your wife's symptoms with the levels of hydrogen sulfide, ammonia and other stuff from the cattle operation.
If she is not keeping a detailed journal of her symptoms as well as your environmental readings/samples, you should start to do that now.
You should also consider moving away from your home for a few week or a month or so, take readings of the air at this new location and document any improvement in your wife's condition.
If she gets better, you case will be that much stronger. If she doesn't then you should take her to a large university teaching hospital for a complete evaluation.
Why a University Teaching Hospital? Because at an institution like that your wife could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.
The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.
Does this make sense to you?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I been away for a week and was fine , came home same ole same ole, she has. A appointment with go in 2 weeks we watch readings when they are high we leave whether work is done or not . No choice. There are Drs out there we been told who have dealt with this situation before. And that is what we are hoping to find
Look up symptoms on hydrogen sulfide poisoning
It sounds like you are doing all the right things.
Next,I guess, is to find a lawyer experienced in these sorts of issues.
Is there anything else I can help you with this morning?
If not....
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Let me know how things turn out...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Asked for someone who has dealt with similar issue
Hello from JA
In fact I am board certified in internal medicine and integrative medicine and I have been a clinical doctor for over 20 years.
What question remains for you at this point?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Again I ask who has experience from hydrogen sulfide emissions symptoms
I have reviewed your questions and will opt our for another expert to help you.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing Internal Medicine Physician. Excellent service is my goal.
The other expert opted out.
Do you still need help?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I noticed the other experts were trying to help
Can I ask what is your main question at this point that I can focus on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My ways on is quoted Above and all the questions listed you can't get from that forget it
Dr. Rick gave a very thorough answer.
What else would you like to know?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ate you saying you speak for every dr on here. Again I ASKED of any DR ON HERE HAS ANY EXPEROENCE WITH HYDROGEN SULFIDE POISONING
Your wife's symptoms are potentially consistent with chronic hydrogen sulfide poisoning, not acute. I only ever had experience with acute--working in the ER when they brought in someone who had been trapped in a sewer collapse. The answer there was a mixed diagnosis: hypoxia with hydrogen sulfide, crush injuries. He developed pulmonary edema.
Chronic poisoning results in headache, inflammation of the lining and surface of the eye and eyelids, digestive disturbances, weight loss and debility.
Acute is more respiratory, as in the patient I saw.
Do you wish me to try to answer? I will have to go on- and offline for a while.
If you don't, I'll gladly opt out.
I await your reply. Will return even if gone for a little while.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i believe you are correct, been fighting dnr epa etc and testing equipment is expensive and time off work plus dr trips is expensive to. but quality of health is important. just odd we both got symptoms after the huge confinement was built and no help to monitor it from anyone.


you do not have monitoring equipment? Without that you cannot make a case. I would monitor daily and chart. Here is a website for the equipment. Perhaps neighbors or your country could assist you?
Just the smell is enough to give you a headache.
I didn't know if you would answer me but while I was waiting I looked up the US Army publication on this:
Can I help you further?
Do make sure she has had a doctor's visit to discuss this and the screening evaluation due at 50--should you want to take action, that's the first thing that needs to be cleared--that there is no other cause for her illness. I feel so bad for you, having your home's comfort and security damaged.)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will check into your sites
We were sent a monitor was told It would be Hydrogen sulfide so my but it ended up being ammonia level test but the ammonia levels are running high and hopefully we can figure something out hydrosulfide thank you
You're welcome. Anything I can do to help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

give me time to more info on hydrogen sulfide. IMHO getting those readings in addition to the amonia is the key. i will rate you when i have it all together, as of now you and i both know it is a pure guess

I'm more concerned with helping than rating. I just like to know that I'm helping--and remember, we're on the Internet. I can't see you or assess how my words fit like in my office. Different people have different levels of understanding and need.
I feel for you. One's home is one's castle and those cow farts are wafting over the moat.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

until anyone has ever lived this nightmare , one can never imagine what it is. . And then to have the DNR thanks to our Governor branstad ways tell us they cannot do anything about the odor. and EPA tell the same.

Have you researched ALL legislation by others to see if something can be done about diminishing the value of your property? And for health problems?
You might invest the money you would have paid for this question in asking for an environmental or property lawyer. Just to see.
Remember that medicine is based in logic and biology and chemistry. The law is an entirely human construct that defies logic half the time--and usually, like most crimes, winds up being "follow the money."
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have talked to two lawyers personally
Within my own state. One. Stated he can get an injunction. The other who was referred to me by JFANS google it large group opposing these units with excellent results. They are working with me but said once built it is tough. Property devaluation does not come into play until 2 or 3 adjoining properties sell. Who knows how long that will take. I kindly asked producer to add additives got run around for 2 months. Talked to DNR he gave them same run around as he knows he doesn't have to do anything now that it is built. I opposed and so did other neighbors before it was built. DNR still granted him the permit. I told DNR u created the problem now take care of it. I can copy n paste some of my email with DNR if u want to see our vonversation
While I would find it interesting, I have no knowledge of the law and wouldn't be able to add anything of value to you except to say: get a doctor on board that your wife has medical problems directly related to the exposures and sue--if the lawyers say this is a viable case.
I bet someone was paid off but proving it is another matter.
jbmd, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 615
Experience: Board Certified physician in Internal Medicine - 30+ years experience
jbmd and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you