Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

For a few days I have had cramps in the area below my breast

plate. not sure if that...
for a few days I have had cramps in the area below my breast plate. not sure if that is my stomach or liver area. and also in the middle back area. Now I am having a bit of slight chills, very slight. and cramps mainly in the front part, back pain seem to have subsided (probably because I went to my physical therapist appointment earlier today). should I go to hospital or wait. and if I go, what tests would they do on me.
8/3/2013
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

Mysticdoc :

This pain in the peigastric area can be caused by the gastritis or inflammation of the stomach.

Mysticdoc :

Epigastric pain is also caused by the stomach ulcers commonly.

Mysticdoc :

Gallbladder problem like gallstones also can cause similar symptoms.

Mysticdoc :

Pancreatitis is another possibility --nausea, vomiting also present with pain usually.

Mysticdoc :

Avoid hot and spicy food.

Mysticdoc :

Stay on bland diet.

Mysticdoc :

Omeprazole 20 mg daily helps with gastritis and ulcer related pain.

Mysticdoc :

Gallbladder and pancreatitis related problem can be ruled out by the blood tests and a CT scan.

Mysticdoc :

Liver problem usually causes nausea, vomiting.

Mysticdoc :

But pain is also a presenting feature located at right upper abdomen.

Mysticdoc :

Blood tests will also help to rule that out.

Mysticdoc :

Hence, you should go to the hospital for a clinical evaluation.

Mysticdoc :

As you see, treatment is easy and successful after proper diagnosis.

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Mysticdoc : The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.
Mysticdoc : Hi there,
Mysticdoc : This pain in the peigastric area can be caused by the gastritis or inflammation of the stomach.
Mysticdoc : Epigastric pain is also caused by the stomach ulcers commonly.
Mysticdoc : Gallbladder problem like gallstones also can cause similar symptoms.
Mysticdoc : Pancreatitis is another possibility --nausea, vomiting also present with pain usually.
Mysticdoc : Avoid hot and spicy food.
Mysticdoc : Stay on bland diet.
Mysticdoc : Omeprazole 20 mg daily helps with gastritis and ulcer related pain.
Mysticdoc : Gallbladder and pancreatitis related problem can be ruled out by the blood tests and a CT scan.
Mysticdoc : Liver problem usually causes nausea, vomiting.
Mysticdoc : But pain is also a presenting feature located at right upper abdomen.
Mysticdoc : Blood tests will also help to rule that out.
Mysticdoc : Hence, you should go to the hospital for a clinical evaluation.
Mysticdoc : As you see, treatment is easy and successful after proper diagnosis.
Mysticdoc : Best wishes
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Hello
This can be more serious than what has been mentioned.
It can be unusual angina..heart pain and impending heart attack.
It can be a major vessel problem.
It can be a penetrating ulcer.
Go to the ER now, not later.
OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.

actually the pain has subsided now as we are talking. it was just slight cramps. is it this major or can I wait until tomorrow.

Any of these problems can come and go.
So, with the chills, and pain radiating to the back...you still had an episode of serious signs.
Subsiding could even go along more with angina.
So I would get checked out today..this is new, sudden onset, at least get an EKG.
Go to urgent care.
Hi there
I am the original expert dealing with your question.
It does not sound serious at all since your symptoms are gone.
This is likely gastritis and nothing else.
You can wait till tomorrow.
Best wishes
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

re the chills,

I am not feeling a lot of chills. its the middle of the night here so I just woke up from the previous cramp. the air conditioning is ok so could it be just from the waking up and air con?

Thanks for replying.
Yes I think this is air conditioner related.
See, in case of any serious condition, the symptoms will worsen, not just go away.
That is why I do not think you need to be concerned at all currently.
However, if the symptoms return, then please see your doctor for a clinical evaluation.
Best wishes,
Hello
Please remember as I said that symptoms that are acute enough to be disturbing, then go away completely, can be typical of angina.
If you have not been examined in a while; if you have not had an EKG ever, this needs to be done.
Couple of days ago a genereal practitioner examined me. He ordered blood tests. I had an EKG maybe half a year ago. Should i go to ER or wait till tomorrow
In my view, an EKG 1/2 a year ago does you no good at all.
We can not examine you.
You were concerned enough with the intensity of the pain to write us.
The pain has subsided b
But you have no explanation.
If you have ulcer disease in the family, or heart disease in the family, this makes the situation more problematic.
So I do not think it would be in good conscience to say don't get examined.
The EKG in my view is the basic thing you need as close to the pain episode as possible.
To be safe.
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician