DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I am a senior citizen in good health generally. My problem

I am a senior citizen in good health generally. My problem is muscle cramps at night. They range from mild to very painful and interfere with a good night sleep. I try to get about an hours walk in every day but I don't think that is partly the cause. What do you think I can take or do to help?? Don
Hello from JA
YOu have to look at all causes
Magnesium is often relatively deficient, and potassium will not help as long as this is the case.
Problems in the lower spine can do this, and a structural evaluation and even an MRI need to be done. The correct physical therapy can correct this in many cases, not all.
Circulation in the legs needs to be checked.
In many cause the cause is not clear.
So, if your doctor is stumped, have a magnesium level drawn, it should be 2.5 or higher, lower than that can be a relative deficiency even if in the normal range.
Have the circulation in your legs checked.
Have your lower spine checked, even if you see a specialist.
OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. I have been taking magnesium pills for a few weeks now. I take the pills twice daily. 120 mg. each. For all the blood tests I take, I have not seen magnesium listed. Potassium is always listed as normal on the blood tests. Circulation in the legs checked?? I don't know how that is done but I will ask my family doctor the next time I see him. Thanks for the interest in my problem. Don

Magnesium typically is supplemented at 500 to 750 mg a day.
Circulation is checked with exam and ultrasound of the legs.