Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I was diagnosed with Addison's Disease just 8 days ago on

July 25th. Before I was diagnosed...
I was diagnosed with Addison's Disease just 8 days ago on July 25th.
Before I was diagnosed with AD, I was also prescribed adderall for my ADHD.
I have two questions:
1) Once my body stabilizes itself again (i.e. sodium and potassium settle in, etc) and my hydrocortisone begins to help, how long will I be able to start taking adderal again? As far as my adderal prescription, I am prescribed 20mg adderall.
2) Is is okay/safe to take adderal (even small amounts like 5mg) even though I have addison's disease?
8/1/2013
911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
911DOC :

This is a question that you MUST address with your prescribing physician as they will certainly want to know about your new diagnosis of Addisons disease.

911DOC :

There is nothing that springs to mind that would be a contraindication to starting your adderal again, but I can not advise you to do that as I am not your physician

911DOC :

but

911DOC :

a review of the prescribing info for adderal

911DOC :

does not list Addison's as a contraindicaiton nor does it list use of prednisone/hydrocortisone as a contraindication

911DOC :

also

911DOC :

Can you tell me about your symptoms that led to the Addison's diagnosis and were you hospitalized?

Customer:

yes. I began to feel very light-headed, fatigued, I craved salty foods (i.e. pickles, pickle juice, soy sauce, salsa, etc.) and my body began to tan really fast and I was hardly outside or in a tanning bed.

Customer:

I then had a seizure last saturday due to my low sodium. On the proper scale, sodium should be around 135-150. mine was a 114.

911DOC :

wow, you had the classic symptoms

911DOC :

so sorry this happened

Customer:

Yeah i really did. After we googled Addison's, my symptoms hit the nail on the head.

911DOC :

they say that in the ER you will see one or two new Addison's patients in your career. I did see one but they were already diagnosed.

Customer:

I am going to graduate school this september, and I have taken adderal for the past year of school (in very LOW moderation), and I just want to make sure that if I need it for a test, quiz, etc. that the adderal will not affect my addisons or my adrenal glands.

Customer:

And yes, I was told that its very rare. and me being just 23 is even more rare. A doctor who had been working at the hospital for 20 years said I was just his second case.

911DOC :

well, take a look at the link above on adderal and look at it's side effects

911DOC :

as you now know, you do not want to become dehydrated

911DOC :

when Addison's patients become dehydrated or low on sodium that can precipitate a crisis

911DOC :

it would be reasonable to think that you could take adderal.... I can not find nor am I aware of a contraindication with stable Addison's patients

911DOC :

but your prescribing doctor needs to make this call, not me.

911DOC :

standing by

911DOC :

also, in the above link you will see a list of medicines you CAN NOT take with adderal, and hydrocortison/steroids are not on the list

Customer:

Okay. Well I really appreciate your input. I will meet with my prescribing doctor and see what they think I can do. I just want to let you know that I will give you an 'excellent service' rating because it was just that. Thank you so much for your time.

911DOC :

you are most welcome

911DOC :

sorry you have this problem

911DOC :

but if you take good care of yourself you can live a normal life with this diagnosis

911DOC :

but when you get ill take special care and make sure you have access to care quickly

911DOC :

as the crises can be very dangerous indeed

911DOC :

do you have any final questions for me?

Customer:

No sir/ma'am. I really appreciate your time. Thank you for your consideration and take care and have a good day!

911DOC :

Good. Thank you so much for your question. It was a pleasure talking with you. Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Be Well

911Doc

911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
911DOC
911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.