DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Aside from the pain that arises from dry-cracked heels, are

Aside from the pain that arises from dry-cracked heels, are there any health risks?
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

severe dry cracked heels can get infected as well since the skin is open.

so you have to be very careful to keep your feet clean and dry

and to try to heal the dry cracked skin with moisturizers and pumice stone

you can use neosporin on the area to decrease risks for infection and to help moisturize the area

thick moisturizers like utter butter or aquafore can help. you can apply these on the heel and wear socks at night to help moisturize the skin

and during your shower you can use a pumice stone to help get rid of dead skin cells

also you can see a podiatrist for foot care as well.

let me know if you have questions.
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

Hello.

I am Dr. Thomas, board certified in internal medicine and I can help you with this and any follow up questions. I cover a lot of ground and might give you an answer or ask for information, but use reply to communicate with me for questions or added details.

Your question was if there are health risks to cracked heals besides pain.

Of course any crack in the skin can be a source of infection, but the issue with chronically cracked heels is that it can be a sign of diabetes.

We know nothing about you and it would be tantamount to making an unfounded diagnosis to just say take care of this, and use moisturizers.

IN fact you need an exam by your doctor now, with all routine labs, and particularly fasting blood sugar.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.