How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Frank Your Own Question
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 9000
Experience:  Neurologist/Internist with academic and clinical experience.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Frank is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 59 year old woman, excellent health. Yesterday, I was

This answer was rated:

I am 59 year old woman, excellent health. Yesterday, I was sitting attempting to remove nozzle from water hose with wrench. Developed intense pulling sensation under lower left rib; I changed positions; intense feeling went away, but a catch of sorts remains. Can't take deep breaths without discomfort.

Welcome, as an Internist I will try to answer your Medical Question, for informational purposes only, please see your doctor as needed.

hello do you smoke or have any lung conditions, history of sinus disease? there is a condition called a spontaneous pneumothorax, please get back to me to discuss

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do not smoke, drink, use drugs, no history of sinus disease or ANY other condition. Felt like a quick pull of a muscle with residual effects. Feels like catch just under my rib cage.

Hi. Just wanted to exclude the more serious conditions. From the mechanics of what you described, if you were really tugging on that wrench, you pulled your serratus anterior muscle or your pectoralis muscles, along the chest wall. It could also be a small intercostal muscle, but you have pain with respirations. I do not think it is your diaphragm, but maybe if you were holding your breath and bearing down, it is also possible.

I would suggest you use Aleve or some NSAID medication, and apply warm moist compresses over the area to improve blood flow, and get the muscle to get out of spasm. Get back to me with questions if I can help Dr Frank T

Dr. Frank and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you