Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

911DOC, do you agree with the new recent study that claims

that skipping breakfast can cause...
911DOC, do you agree with the new recent study that claims that skipping breakfast can cause heart risks? Thank you for your assistance.
7/23/2013
911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
911DOC : I am not familiar with this. Can you send a link?
911DOC : I am now driving. Will be back in 10 minutes. A reference would be great.
Customer:

I saw it on the news either last night or this morning, and there is also the following link:

911DOC :

Okay

911DOC :

stand by

911DOC :

I think it means that they need to do further research

911DOC :

here is the key part of what I could read....

911DOC :

"The new research was released Monday by the journal Circulation. It was an observational study, so it's not designed to prove a cause and effect. But when done well, such studies can reveal important health risks."

911DOC :

it's an 'observational study'....

911DOC :

this is not something that means a lot in and of itself

911DOC :

there may be a correlation, there may not be

911DOC :

they state that this does not prove cause and effect

911DOC :

it's interesting

911DOC :

but I would say this....

911DOC :

eat a healthy diet

911DOC :

skipping meals may not be a good idea

911DOC :

for a variety of reasons

911DOC :

a healthy breakfast would seem to be a better choice than skipping breakfast

911DOC :

but there is nothing conclusive here

911DOC :

remember when salt was bad and fish oil was good?

911DOC :

two recent studies suggest salt is not a cause of high blood pressure and that fish oil may have a link with prostate cancer

911DOC :

but those studies too, are flawed

911DOC :

bot***** *****ne

911DOC :

it is hard to do good studies on humans because of the ethical problem of testing humans

911DOC :

so we have to take our best guess

911DOC :

this appears to be worth considering

911DOC :

but it is far from proof

911DOC :

so I would act accordingly

911DOC :

and try to eat three healthy meals a day

911DOC :

and snack healthily as well

911DOC :

nothing earth shaking here.

911DOC :

I am going to have to step away again for a minute

911DOC :

will check back with you shortly if you have any questions for me

911DOC :

if not, positive feedback is always appreciated

911DOC :

best

911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
911DOC
911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.