Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I need a prescription refill. I do not have health insurance

or a primary care physician...
I need a prescription refill. I do not have health insurance or a primary care physician. Can you help me?
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/18/2013
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
We do not prescriptions through this web site.
We only provide answers to questions.

How do I get a prescription refill without a primary care physician?

What medicine requires a refill?

Carvedilol 6.25 mg.

Is this being used to treat congestive heart failure?
Who has been prescribing the medicine?

No, it is for high blood pressure. Dr. Amy Silverberg prescribed it for me when I was in the hospital (Rose Medical Center in Denver) in February. When I tried to refill the prescription, she said I should contact my primary care physician.

How high was the blood pressure when the medicine was started?
How is your blood pressure doing now?

I don't know how high my blood pressure was when the medicine was started. Yesterday it was 172/98. I haven't had any blood pressure medicine for a week.

How high was the blood pressure before running out of the medicine?

It was about 140/90 most of the time.

Thank you for the additional information.

There are several issues to consider in this situation. I'm sorry for the length of time to typw a complete answer.

First, it is necessary that you obtain a primary care physician. The only proper care for any chronic medical condition, such as hypertension, would involve ongoing care with a physician, and hypertension usually does not require specialty care. There is more to managing hypertension than simply knowing the blood pressure (which can be checked at home or the local store) and continuing medicine if it is well controlled. It may be possible to obtain a prescription refill as a temporary measure, but in the long term, you need to establish with a primary care physician.

If there is a problem with the fact that you have no insurance, then it would be appropriate to be seen in a clinic designed to see people without insurance. There are federally funded clinics that will see people without insurance and you can use an online database to search for a clinic near you at http://findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov/Search_HCC.aspx. There also may be other options that are not part of the national program, and the local health department would usually be aware if there are other local resources.

Until you can become established with a primary care physician or a clinic, the options would vary according to the regulations of the state in which you live. Certain states (including my state) limit prescription of such medicines to the physicians that have seen and evaluated the patient and do not allow such assessments over the internet or other alternative communication methods. Other states would allow prescriptions for certain medicines based on the clinical situation, although they still usually restrict it to physicians that are licensed in that state.

If you live in a state in which such prescription is allowed, there are websites that will connect you with a physician that is licensed in that state, such as http://www.quickrxrefills.com/ or http://www.consultadr.com/.

If you live in a state that requires a personal assessment by a doctor, then it would be necessary to be seen. And if you cannot be seen in one of the clinics noted above in a timely manner, it would be necessary to be seen in a facility that is designed to be seen quickly, such as in an Urgent Care Center or Walk-In Clinic.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

OK, I understand. Thank you for your help.

You're welcome.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Dr. D. Love, Doctor