Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My wife,73 yr. old, has lost 30 lbs. in the last 10 months

from her average weight of...
My wife,73 yr. old, has lost 30 lbs. in the last 10 months from her average weight of 135. She has very little appetite and feels tired most all the time. She also has small periods of chills and weakness. Is there anything that we might try to help her here at home before going in to your clinic?
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/14/2013
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Does she get fever?

Cough?

Diarrhoea?

Blood in stools?

Abdominal pain?

No to all.

No to all questions.

Thank you very much for the useful information.

She has lost significant weight --- and that too with out purposeful dieting plan.

This can be due to a thyroid disorder (thyroid gland producing more hormones).

Malignancy (cancer) of gastrointestinal tract (stomach/colon).

Other occult malignancies (hidden cancers) of major viscera of body such as liver or lungs.

Malabsorption syndrome (pathological conditions of bowel leading to impaired absorption of nutrients one eats leading to gradual weight loss).

Depression leading to reduced appetite and subsequent weight loss.

I honestly believe that there is nothing much to be tried at home and wait.

She should have an urgent possible consultation with an Internist, discussing all the details i have mentioned to get a management plan chalked out that suits best to her needs.

A comprehensive clinical examination, chest x-rays, colonoscopy etc will be required to exactly identify the underlying cause for this weight loss so that an appropriate and targeted management plan is instituted in time.

While awaiting consultation keep her adequately hydrated.

Well balanced and nutritious diet should be given.

There is no harm in continuing with over the counter multivitamin preparations.

At her age the most common cause for this unexplained weight loss are cancerous conditions and that worries me the most. I certainly would like to rule out/diagnose any sinister pathology at earliest.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor