Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I recently had removed bladder for cancer and also quit

smoking. I don't know...
I recently had removed bladder for cancer and also quit smoking. I don't know if there is an inbalance of something in my system as everything tastes salty, even my salivia sometimes.
I order food remember the taste then when I eat it just does not set well in my stomach. Can you advise. Thanks.
7/11/2013
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

Mysticdoc :

Did you receive any chemotherapy for cancer?

Customer:

No chemo, cancer contained in bladder.

Mysticdoc :

ok

Mysticdoc :

change in taste is caused by the inflammation of the taste buds on the tongue.

Mysticdoc :

Oral thrush or fungal infection is one common cause.

Mysticdoc :

Vitamin B2 and zinc deficiency can cause this.

Mysticdoc :

Sometimes, inflammation can be from body's immune reaction.

Customer:

So what is your suggestion

Mysticdoc :

Vitamin B2 ( riboflavin) 200 mg daily, zinc 30 mg daily supplementation should be tried.

Mysticdoc :

Thrush can be treated with anti fungal medication like nystatin or fluconazole --requires prescription.

Mysticdoc :

Inflammation can be contained with steroid oral paste like kenalog in orabase paste --also requires prescription.

Mysticdoc :

You should discuss these options with your doctor.

Customer:

So you are suggesting I see a doctor, that's what I was going to do but I thought you might have a simple answer.

Mysticdoc :

I suggested the possibilities and the treatment options.

Mysticdoc :

Vitamin B2 and zinc do not require prescription.

Customer:

So you think I should go ahead with the B2 and zinc first?

Mysticdoc :

As you know, communication through this website does not establish doctor-patient relationship due to the legal issues.

Mysticdoc :

yes you should consider that.

Customer:

I'll go ahead and try that and if it doesn't work then I will make appt. with doctor. Is a regular MD ok or should I tell my urologist?

Mysticdoc :

That sounds good.

Mysticdoc :

Regular MD will be better

Mysticdoc :

Internal medicine or internist especuially

Customer:

Thank you I hope your suggestion works

Mysticdoc :

very welcome

Mysticdoc :

wish you the best

Customer:

This is a secure site for credit cards right?

Mysticdoc :

yes this is

Customer:

I get worred giving out information

Customer:

Thank you I will try out your suggestion first

Customer:

Views expressed by you are educational purposes, are you a doctor?

Mysticdoc :

yes I am a MD with plenty of experience.

Mysticdoc :

The website verifies credentials.

Customer:

Thank you very much for your help.

Mysticdoc :

Due to website policy and US laws, we are not permitted to establish and doctor-patient relationship online

Mysticdoc :

very welcome

Customer:

Good Bye

Mysticdoc :

take care

Mysticdoc :

have a nice day

Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist