Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Small,skinny feces excretions with gas andwatery diahrea.

have iritable bowel problem...
small,skinny feces excretions with gas andwatery diahrea. have iritable bowel problem
7/8/2013
Daniel Sheibley, MD
Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Your stool is in thin form? Narrow in dimension?

Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Hi
I was following your question.
Any fever or chills? Abdominal pain?
How long has this been going on?
Any colonoscopy?

Sorry about not being able to get answer to my question. I was not able to connect onChat with Dr. Sheible. Apparently you have already charged my master card. sooo---I have not completed the form. Need to talk--Ph:
860/952-4257 Thank you, *****

Dorey- can you answer my questions above?

No fever. Had a colonoscopy a bout 4 yrs ago. perhaps need another..I do have an area on left side which has a smaller area which has caused some blockage problems in the past. I have moved to another area in state and must get new doctors.

Hi
Thanks for the additional information. If you had a recent colonoscopy (within the last 5 years), then you do not need another one.
Your stool can change for a variety of reasons including (but not limited to):
1. stress
2. change in diet
3. exercise
4. hydration
5. thyroid disease
6. infection
7. malabsorption issues
8. Irritable bowel
Now this can be one or more of the above.
If you have not had your feces checked for parasitic infection, then it should be done so. As well, make sure you have had a recent thyroid test (in the last few months)
More likely this is IBS. At this point, you want to avoid things that can make diarrhea worse, including milk products and things which cause cause- broccoli, cauliflower, beans, etc.
Avoid chocolate, alcohol, caffeine, carbonated drinks, the artificial sweetener sorbitol (found in sugarless gum and mints), and fructose (the simple sugar found in honey and many fruits). These can worsen diarrhea symptoms
I would also ask your doctor about the notion of small intestine bacterial overgrowth syndrome. This can cause very similar symptoms and you may benefit from testing and antibiotics.
You can read about here in deal:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_intestinal_bacterial_overgrowth
Thanks for waiting
I hope this helped!
Please leave positive feedback if it did :-)
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor

Your advice: Check feces for parasitic infection; Thyroid test/ avoid diff items; testing small intestine for bacterial overgrowth syndrome--
all different new to knowledge. Will check with doc.

Thanks for your advice. Dorey Boutwell

Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor