How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. P. Jyoti Your Own Question
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 9126
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. P. Jyoti is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Recently, I experienced a sudden weight gain of 6 lbs with no change of diet - except for

This answer was rated:

Recently, I experienced a sudden weight gain of 6 lbs with no change of diet - except for probably an increase use of soya sauce with my daily snack. As a result, I noticed an increase of leg swelling (edema) in my left leg and the start of dyspnea in climbing 17 steps upstairs to my bedroom.

Through my research of my condition, I feel I can treat my evolving condition by reducing my intake of less soya sauce in addition to taking a diuretic.

Your answer and advice is appreciated.


I can appreciate your concern.

Your increase in weight, along with increase in dyspnea and swelling of legs, all indicate that you are having fluid retention.

THe increasing dyspnea specially is worrisome - it could indicate that your heart is having decreased function. It may also be due to pleural effusion, fluid in the pleural sac around your lungs.

This is not something to treat at home. Diuretics alone will not be sufficient to treat this. The soya sauce is only coincidental. You are likely to be having impaired cardiac function.

You need to see your doctor for this ASAP. If necessary, if you cannot get an early appointment, you should go to the ER. You will need tests for heart function. You will also need other medicines besides diuretics.

Go to your doctor at the earliest for this, and preferably go to the ER. You need urgent medical attention for this.

Take care - I want you to be safe - home treatment is not good enough for this.

Hope that satisfies your query. If so, please choose a positive rating.

If you have any other queries, do ask. Wish you good health and a quick recovery. Bonus is always welcome!

Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Hello Len,

Thank you for your positive rating to my answer a few days back.

I am very pleased that I was able to help you.

You may shortly receive an email survey to rate my services from JA. Please take the time to answer the survey with positive ratings for me, that is very important for me on this JA site and your good ratings will help me immensely.

If you have any further questions, either on this issue or a different issue, I would be happy to help you. Just put 'For Dr. P. Jyoti only' at the beginning of your question so that I get to work with you again.

It was a great pleasure for me and JA to be able to help you.

Thank you,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.