DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I have a rash (about 6-8 small lumps) on the right side of

I have a rash (about 6-8 small lumps) on the right side of my labia major, near the vaginal entrance. I have been tested for herpes - negative and all other common std's which were all negative results. The Doctor prescribed Doxycyline 100mg x 2 day for a postiive ureaplasma infection, but i was wondering if this would casue the rash on the vulva? And if not what are the likely causes, considering the negative results from the above test?
Thank you.
Hello from JA
I am Dr. Thomas, board certified in internal medicine and I can help you with this and any follow up questions. I cover a lot of ground and might give you an answer or ask for information, but use reply to communicate with me for questions or added details.
Just about any infection can cause a rash.
I would worry about fungal infection in this area.
I would have swabbed the rash itself for identification.
The doctor is presuming a cause, and if he is correct the doxy will take care of it.
If not, cultures should be done.
Any skin problem can occur here in fact from eczema, to psoriasis, other autoimmune problems, infections and rare skin problems.
Yeast being the most common cause.
OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your answer.

The doctor said there was no thrush present in the vaginal swabs, are there other fungal infections it could be?

there are a variety of fungal infection.
Infections: fungal /bacterial; doxy will cover the pertinent bacteria.
Viral
Allergy
Contact dermatitis
Auto immune rash
Rare skin disease
If this persists, a small sample of the rash could be sent to the lab to help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I also have a swollen lymph node on the left side of my groin and slightly swollen labia, I'm assuming it's the bartholin glands, they are uncomfortable, rather than painful and the area looks redder than usual, but they haven't swollen up like images on google... Should i revisit the doctor? All these symptons were present when the doxy was prescribed.

Thank you.

A swollen gland should be obvious and any ob/gyn would drain it.
Yes revisit the doctor.
The lymph node can be from any irritation or infection in the area.