Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have a hemorroid that is protruding

I have a hemorroid that is protruding
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Since how long has the hemorrhoid been protruding?

Is it bleeding?

Do you have pain?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This was four weeks ago. It was bleeding, itchy, etc. I used 2.5 hydrocortisone. Four weeks later, it is no longer outside the anus. I only feel a smooth, circle less than 0.5 cm knot inside the anus. Is this normal
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just want to make sure that the hemorroid is healing. It has been 4 weeks. Is it normal for a hemorroid to take this long? I just want to make sure that this is not cancer. The bleeding, pain, itching is all gone. What is left is this tiny bump inside the anus.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are you there
Thanks for the details.

Yes, this is a routine complaint of patients who have hemorrhoids, and since it is inside now you do not need to be worried about it getting infected or ulcerated. If the hemorrhoid has remained outside it has a potential of causing ulceration, bleeding, pain and iron deficiency bleeding.
Since, this hemorrhoid came and got stuck outside, it is most likely a 3rd or a 4th degree hemorrhoid.
These kind of hemorrhoids are dangerous and are like ticking time bombs. They can come outside the canal and get stuck easily causing pain, itching and bleeding, the bleeding can be very severe at times causing hypotension and shock or in the long term cause anemia.
Other than hemorrhoids, polyps can also present with the symptoms you have described.
Hemorrhoids do not heal spontaneously and need to be taken out or band ligated.
They are actually like varicose veins of the anal canal. The veins swell up due to incompetence valves and the hard knots are sometimes, blood clots or thickening of the vein walls.
Avoidance of constipation and taking a high fiber diet and drinking a lot of water is the recommendation here but the best course of action will be to see a perianal surgeon and get this examined since the treatment of hemorrhoids or polyps is surgical. Hemorrhoidectomy or polypectomy is a day care procedure and avoids a lot of potential problems. So I suggest that you take the second option of consultating a Surgeon seriously as well.
Hope this helps.
Please leave a positive rating for the service if satisfied.
If you have more queries or need information reply back.
Best.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are polyps cancerous? I am out of the country for 2 months. Please put mind at ease that this not cancer. Since the mass shrank in size, isn't fair to assume that it was a hemorroidJust a clarification, the bump is inside now, the outside mass shrank and is inside the opening of the anus.In four weeks it shrank considerably, from a grape size down to a half pea size
Thanks for the details.
Cancer usually does not present like this.
Polyps are benign but have malignant or cancerous potential.
Cancer will have presented with loss of weight, decrease in appetite, altered bowel habits along with pain and bleeding.
The presentation you describe is of a 3rd or 4th degree hemorrhoid. But it does warrant an examination and some work up, so I suggest that you get that done.
Hope this helps.
Best.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are you saying it won't go away on its own. When this first started, I went to a doctor back in the us. He said it was a hemorroid with a fissure. I have no access to a doctor for 2 months, please put my mind at ease. Thanks
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, a hemorrhoid will not completely disappear on its own. This needs to be treated. Band ligation and injection (sclerotherapy) therapy are good for 1st or 2nd degree hemorrhoids. But this is a 3rd or 4th degree hemorrhoid and will need a surgical procedure like a hemorroidectomy at least.
Hemorrhoids are not cancerous but they are distressing and cause problems for the sufferer so it is best to get them treated. You can get this treated after 2 months if you want, but during that time you should avoid constipation, be on a high fiber diet, drink a lot of water and avoid exercise or lifting up heavy obects.
You can start using Syrup Lactulose 30 ml at night as a stool softner and use psyllium husk 2 tablespoons thrice a day admixed in milk, food or water.
Best.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am so sorry, but I have two more questions. What is the smooth circle that I still feel inside the anus? Will icing it make it go down in size? Please confirm that this a natural progression of the healing of a hemorroid. Thanks and I will accept. Co you still think that it may be a polyp

Thanks for the details.

I can not commit to a diagnosis without examination or seeing the lump. However, it sounds more like a hemorrhoid due to its presentation.
The smooth circle inside the anus is the hemorroid that is thrombosed (blood clot) which feels solid and like a mass in the rectum.
Icing will not help at this point, it can help only when the hemorrhoid is outside the anal canal in reducing the inflammation and the pain.
Yes, this is how a hemorrhoid acts and behaves once it has protruded and gone back inside. It takes time for it to settle. But as I have mentioned, it has a potential of recurring if not treated.
Hope this helps.
Best.