Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Hasan. i have a little zit like ulcer that has popped up on

hey dr. hasan. i have...
hey dr. hasan. i have a little white zit like ulcer that has popped up on the floor of my mouth right beside my frenelum under my tongue. it looks like a little zit. should i be worried about cancer?
7/6/2013
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
DR HASAN :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name is***** and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.

DR HASAN :

Since how long exactly you have this?

DR HASAN :

Does this increase or decrease in size while eating?

DR HASAN :

Is that tender?

Customer:

i just noticed it about 3 days ago. it wasnt really painful at all , but it is a little tender now because i hace been messing with it. i havent noticed it increasing or decreasing while eating. i did scraped it off yesterday and it came back that night

DR HASAN :

Do you have any lymph nodes under the jaw?

Customer:

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Customer:

no swollen lymph nodes

Customer:

its the little zit like thing to the left of the frenelum

DR HASAN :

Come on :)

DR HASAN :

It's just an apthous ulcer.

DR HASAN :

It can be due to a fungal infection or sometime just due to a low immunity.

DR HASAN :

Just check your pharmacy for gentian violet and apply there twice daily.

DR HASAN :

Take some OTC multi vitamin tablet daily.

DR HASAN :

For sure cancer is not even a possibility here.

Customer:

no way cancer starts out like this

DR HASAN :

Never. because cancer progress very slowly and this is not the form of ulcer, one can get with cancer.

Customer:

cancer progresses slowly?? i thought it was fast?

Customer:

in the mouth

DR HASAN :

Yes it's fast but fast doesn't mean 3 days.

DR HASAN :

Fast in mouth means over the periods of few months.

Customer:

well i just noticed it 3 days ago. i dont really no howlong its been there

DR HASAN :

Even if it was there for few more days, it's look is not that of cancer.

Customer:

could this be a clogged gland or duct?

DR HASAN :

Yes that is one possibility and that is why i asked you that does it increase or decrease in size while eating.

DR HASAN :

Do you feel that it is like a stone if you move your finger on it.

Customer:

yes it feels like a little zit that is tender after messing with it

Customer:

can aphtous ulcers be painless

DR HASAN :

sometime yes but mostly it is painful.

DR HASAN :

You should drink more water and such lemon.

DR HASAN :

In case of stone it will help.

DR HASAN :

But ulcer still is more likely with your pic.

DR HASAN :

However i can say by 100 % confidence that cancer is out of question.

Customer:

so if i went to the dentist and he looked in my mouth , he probably wouldnt even want to biopsy this?

DR HASAN :

Not at all.

DR HASAN :

Biopsy is only required for ulcers which are there for more than 3 months.

DR HASAN :

or if there is high suspicion of cancer then early biopsy can be done.

DR HASAN :

In your case none of the two possibilities are there.

Customer:

well i got my self all worked up because i got online and read where it said oral cancer can start out like a little painless ulcer in the floor of the mouth

DR HASAN :

You mean you got worked up by a doctor?

Customer:

no i mean i got all nervous because i read this online

Customer:

that cancer can start out like painless ulcers in the floor of mouth

DR HASAN :

Ok i see, but i assure you that if you read online every symptom will end with cancer.

DR HASAN :

So online reading is nothing but to make us nervous.

Customer:

hahaha. thats what my wife said

DR HASAN :

This is beauty of justanswer that here a doctor can talk to you live.

DR HASAN :

I agree with your wife :)

DR HASAN :

Any question?

DR HASAN :

I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer:

Sorry doc. I'm having internet troubles

DR HASAN :

It's ok.

Customer:

Would I be able to feel thickness or hardness if it were cancer

DR HASAN :

No not in such early cancer.

Customer:

I had another doc look at it yesterday and he said cancer doesn't look like this at all

DR HASAN :

That's what i have said :)

Customer:

Is cancer rare for my age

DR HASAN :

Quite rare.

DR HASAN :

It is more common after 50

Customer:

So how do I tell the difference in something minor like my little spot and a possible cancer spot

DR HASAN :

Most important is duration.

DR HASAN :

One should never think of cancer with a spot which is there for just few days.

DR HASAN :

Cancer spots have long duration history.

DR HASAN :

Lymph nodes are associated with cancer many a times.

Customer:

OK so based on my pic u have never seen a cancer that looks like this

DR HASAN :

Never ever.

Customer:

so u think it will go away in a few days

DR HASAN :

if ulcer yes in a week it will go.

Customer:

I shouldn't be worried that it doesn't hurt real bad

DR HASAN :

if a stone then yes it can still go away in 10 to 14 days if you drink more water.

DR HASAN :

No not at all.

DR HASAN :

You should not worry.

Customer:

Thanks doc. Do u practice in the states?

DR HASAN :

Sorry not allowed by justanswer to tell our location but I do see head and neck cancer patients daily so what i tell you is true :)

DR HASAN :

My best wishes are for you always :)

Customer:

Thanks doc. I believe u

DR HASAN :

I appreciate this and i do respect the fact that you trust me.

DR HASAN :

Thank you so much.

Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor