Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I'm 53 years old and I have had chemotherapy and radiation

treatment, my side affects are...
I'm 53 years old and I have had chemotherapy and radiation treatment, my side affects are of food tastes bitter and of nausea. Someone recommended cinnamon?? Please let me know asap thank you!!
7/3/2013
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello I can help you with this. Would you like to chat on this?

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on this?

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am afraid this is a common problem after chemotherapy and radiation.

Dr. P Jyoti :

This occurs due to damage to the taste buds which are highly sensitive to both chemo and radiation.

Dr. P Jyoti :

Food may be tasteless, may taste bitter or too sweet or metallic.

Dr. P Jyoti :

do all foods taste bitter to you?

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello do you see my message? please respond by typing out your answer and using 'reply' or 'enter to send your message.

Customer: Yes I see you are here
Customer: One sec sir
Dr. P Jyoti :

yes i am online and ready to chat with you to help you out with this

Customer: Thank you
Dr. P Jyoti :

you may address me as 'dr' or 'dr. jyoti'

Dr. P Jyoti :

I would like to know, do you get this bitter taste with all foods?

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello are you seeing my messages?

Customer: I lost a lot of my appetite its hard for me eat because I'm not hungry like I don't feel hungry anymore
Customer: (I'm messaging for my mom, I'm Elliott, I have her on the phone while I am typing to you)
Dr. P Jyoti :

thats right, thats a typical after effect of chemo and radiation

Dr. P Jyoti :

ok, now i understand why you are delaying

Dr. P Jyoti :

i will suggest some steps that she can take which will help her with this

Dr. P Jyoti :

you may relay this back to her later

Dr. P Jyoti :

please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.
Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.

Dr. P Jyoti :

during cooking, add ingredients like

Dr. P Jyoti :

Flavorings
Tomato sauce
Marinades

Dr. P Jyoti :

Barbecue sauce
Soy sauce
Mustard
Barbecue sauce

Dr. P Jyoti :

this will give her a taste in foods and mask the bitterness

Dr. P Jyoti :

will also help her to regain her appetitie

Customer: Her doctor said something about cinnamon?? What does she mean by that, it has been 5 weeks since she had her last raidiation.
Dr. P Jyoti :

yes, cinnamon added to food will also help in masking the bitterness along with these other ingredients that I mentioned

Dr. P Jyoti :

give this list to her, it will surely help her

Dr. P Jyoti :

also advise her on the following steps:

Dr. P Jyoti :

foods that look appealing will taste better - let her try the foods that she is attracted to

Dr. P Jyoti :

select foods with a variety of colors, shapes, etc

Dr. P Jyoti :

she should drink a lot of fluids - this is most important

Dr. P Jyoti :

ask her to chew gum, hard logenges, etc which will remove nausea and the bitter taste

Customer: And what do you suppose the nausea comes from and she throws up occasionally,
Dr. P Jyoti :

the nausea is a remnant from the earlier chemotherapy

Dr. P Jyoti :

it can also be a side effect of any anti-cancer medicines that she is taking now

Dr. P Jyoti :

let her discuss with her doctor whether her present medicines can cause nausea

Dr. P Jyoti :

she should also take small frequent meals which will help with the nausea

Customer: For instance, she went yesterday to a pizza store and ordered a calzone, and onion rings she once she got the food she got turned off and couldn't eat any of it....
Dr. P Jyoti :

also suck gums, hard logenges, etc as I advised earlier

Dr. P Jyoti :

thats right, i have just explained

Dr. P Jyoti :

she must have relayed this to you now

Dr. P Jyoti :

let her have foods that she finds appealing

Dr. P Jyoti :

if something doesnt work, then she just has to leave it

Dr. P Jyoti :

explain to her that these side effects will go off eventually

Dr. P Jyoti :

for now, she should try the steps I mentioned

Dr. P Jyoti :

she may also consult a dietician for this

Dr. P Jyoti :

let her also ask her doctor whether her present medications have nausea and loss of appetite as a side effect

Dr. P Jyoti :

she may be continuing on anti cancer drugs which can cause these side effects

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer: So would you know if any of there are permanent??
Dr. P Jyoti :

no, they are not permanent

Dr. P Jyoti :

nausea and vomiting is sure to pass off

Dr. P Jyoti :

sometimes some altered taste may remain though specially if she had radiation near her tongue area

Dr. P Jyoti :

but in general, altered taste also is temporary and she will recover

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Dr. P Jyoti :

Hope that satisfies your query. If so, please choose a positive rating.

If you have any other queries, do ask. Wish you good health and a quick recovery. Bonus is always welcome!

Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: She had raidiation in the Stan of the brain, (is that near the taste buds)?
Dr. P Jyoti :

yes, thats right, it could affect the taste buds

Dr. P Jyoti :

brain stem

Dr. P Jyoti :

but hopefully taste too will come back

Dr. P Jyoti :

it may take upto 6 months though

Dr. P Jyoti :

let her have patience and wait a bit

Dr. P Jyoti :

Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer: Ok thank you dr, so if I have more questions I can just message you?
Dr. P Jyoti :

You now need to give a rating if the answer has satisfied you and you have no more questions.
We are paid only when a positive rating is given.
Thanks.

Dr. P Jyoti :

yes thats right, after rating the answer also i will be available for all your future questions

Dr. P Jyoti :

you can continue asking on this thread also at intervals

Dr. P Jyoti :

i am sure your mother will have many more questions, so please do ask them

Dr. P Jyoti :

but for now, i would be happy with a positive rating if you have no more questions for now

Dr. P Jyoti :

Thanks.

Customer: Keep it up and we will be excellent ratings all the way
Dr. P Jyoti :

thank you

Dr. P Jyoti :

in fact you need to give rating only once and you can continue asking on the same thread

Dr. P Jyoti :

You now need to give a rating.
Thanks.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello, please give a positive rating for this question answer session

Dr. P Jyoti :

you need to give a positive rating before logging out

Dr. P Jyoti :

Dr. P Jyoti :

click on a happy face or a 5 star to give a positive rating

Dr. P Jyoti :

you now need to give a positive rating before logging out

Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Hi Elliot,
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?
Is there any further information that you need? Please do write if you wanted to know something more.
Do write back to me if you have any follow up questions,
Thank you,
Dr. P. Jyoti
Hello Elliott,
Thank you for your positive rating to my answer a few days back.
I am very pleased that I was able to help you.
You may shortly receive an email survey to rate my services from JA. Please take the time to answer the survey with positive ratings for me, that is very important for me on this JA site and your good ratings will help me immensely.
If you have any further questions, either on this issue or a different issue, I would be happy to help you. Just put 'For Dr. P. Jyoti only' at the beginning of your question so that I get to work with you again.
It was a great pleasure for me and JA to be able to help you.
Thank you,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD