Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have extreme chafing from excessive walking in a wet

bathing suit skirt. It's literally...
I have extreme chafing from excessive walking in a wet bathing suit skirt. It's literally rubbed raw. It doesn't seem to be infected at this point, but it looks very bad and is very painful. I've been cleaning with soap and water, rinsing with peroxide and applying bacitracin ointment with pain relief. I can't really walk much without irritating if further so I've just been pretty mobile trying to air it out to let a scab form. Is there anything else I need to do at this point? Any help would be appreciated.
7/2/2013
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

STOP USING THE HYDROGEN PEROXIDE!!

Anthony Bray MD :

That would be the main thing at this point !! Hydrogen peroxide is very reactive and will irritate and over dry the skin!! Yes it kills bacteria BUT if you should have exposed living cells it kills them as well!!

Anthony Bray MD :

The bactitracin is fine!

Anthony Bray MD :

Soap and water is fine!

Anthony Bray MD :

Rest is good and it should improve in a short time span ... a few days....

Anthony Bray MD :

You could apply some Vaseline to the area as a protectant...

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope that this is helpful for you! Let me know if you have further questions and i will be happy to get back with you!!

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be much appreciated!

Anthony Bray MD :

Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer:

Great, thanks. I'll stop using the peroxide. Thank you for your help. I just wanted to be sure I was covering all the bases.

Anthony Bray MD :

PS a sunburn product may be helpful such as aloe ... You are very welcome!!

Anthony Bray MD :

Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer:

I have some of that I'll give it a try as well.

Anthony Bray MD :

!OK >> good luck

Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor