Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

what makes your liver SGPT get high and what can be done to

what makes your liver SGPT get high and what can be done to lower it

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

What are your readings for SGPT and why was the test done?

Do you have known medical illness like diabetes?

Are you over weight?

Any previous history of liver disease?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My readings for SGPT are 63 & SGOT 33.

Last year I had high results, could not receive medical insurance due to this and it has become a big concern.

No, I do not have any medical problems known even after a full physical has been done, except this result.

My height is 5'7" and my weight is 200 lbs.

This result came back high a year ago, however, no previous known liver disease. All other blood work came back normal.

Thank you very much for the useful information Tony.

SGPT (also called ALT) is an enzyme produced by the liver cells. Apart from this, other enzymes like AST, GGT and ALP are also produced by the liver.

A rise in levels of these enzymes simply means problem with the liver or its associates structures.

ALT can rise due to many reasons including;

Alcoholic hepatitis

Chronic hepatitis B and C

Acute Hepatitis (due to any viral infection in which case the readings of ALT are very high, sometimes in thousands)

Fatty liver (related to obesity and insulin resistance)

Then there are certain diseases with genetic components like hemochromatosis, wilson's disease, autoimmune hepatitis, biliary cirrhosis etc

Drugs are also a important reason as many drugs (like tylenol) can give a rise in ALT levels.

If the readings are persistently high, then it is a definitive indication to get this investigated in detail.

Hepatitis B/C screening

Ultrasound of the liver (to look at its echo texture)

Autoimmune profile (for autoimmune hepatitis and biliary cirrhosis)

Ceruloplasmin levels (for wilson's disease) and ferritin levels (for hemochromatosis)

And finally liver biopsy if all the suggestive investigations turn out to be negative.

I would simply repeat the test after 2 weeks to see if the levels go back to normal or not, and if these levels remain high, the above mentioned investigations should be started one by one (biopsy is the last in order).

Meanwhile, drink lot of water.

Switch to veggies and fruits and avoid fatty meals and all sort of meats for a while.

Daily exercise (at least 3-5 km) for at least 5 days a week.

Use silymarin (milk thistle extract) for 4 weeks.

Avoid alcohol at all costs.

And do not use any medication with out looking at its effects on the liver.

Repeat the test after 4 weeks, as these measures will help minimize the ongoing liver damage and will bring down the ALT levels down.

However, to treat the problem with certainty and exact underlying cause need to be identified for which meticulous investigations should be performed so that a specific and targeted management plan is instituted in time.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Also, I forgot to tell you that my glucose level came back at 107.

I did have Hepatitis B/C screening done and the results came back negative.

I had an ultra sound done and it also came back negative, everything is fine.

Okay thats great.

Now we have to look at the other relatively uncommon disorders, which i mentioned earlier. You need investigation for that.

And if the blood glucose sample was not a fasting sample, its absolutely fine.

Even with a normal ultrasound you can have an ongoing liver inflammation that is why biopsy is always in plan, but down the list.

If not already, see a hepatologist and discuss all these details with him.

Goodluck.

Kindest Regards.