Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have almost constant UTis and now an irritable bowel

syndrome diagnosis has been added...
I have almost constant UTis and now an irritable bowel syndrome diagnosis has been added. Yes I have seen a urologist and been checked out and yes, I am on medicationn for the current infection.
What I need to know is another opinion on treatment for these two situations.
6/28/2013
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on this?

Customer:

Yes I would thank you

Customer:

I am getting very frustrated having these UTI's so frequently

Customer:

None of the typical preventative ideas seem to work

Dr. P Jyoti :

have you done a uroflometery?

Customer:

Now the irritable bowel has me concerned as well

Customer:

what i a uroflometery?

Customer:

I don't know what a uroflometery is.

Dr. P Jyoti :

thats a test thats very important for recurrent UTI

Dr. P Jyoti :

it will test the flow of your urine and whether you have a proper flow

Customer:

my urologist did many tests I am not sure if that was among them

Dr. P Jyoti :

it will also give an idea of the residual urine in your bladder - an ultrasound is also needed for this

Customer:

Oh... I do believe he did that one

Dr. P Jyoti :

i would advise you to discuss this with your doctor

Customer:

no ultra sound tho

Dr. P Jyoti :

about a uroflometry test and an ultrasound for residual urine

Customer:

I will do that

Dr. P Jyoti :

then this should be done - ask your urologist for this

Dr. P Jyoti :

this is important as it could be the cause of recurrent UTI

Customer:

Yes I will do that

Customer:

It would be good to discover the cause

Dr. P Jyoti :

regarding IBS, this is something that can be tackled by diet

Dr. P Jyoti :

take bland diet as advised

Customer:

Could IBS be caused by a giant hemangioma (which I have)

Dr. P Jyoti :

also add fiber to the diet - you can add flax fiber, this is helpful

Dr. P Jyoti :

no not likely

Dr. P Jyoti :

IBS is when there is no known cause

Dr. P Jyoti :

good diet along with fiber will help you to come out of it

Customer:

My DR told me to hold off on the fiber for now he wants my colon to rest

Dr. P Jyoti :

lease remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.
Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.

Dr. P Jyoti :

ok, in that case go for bland diet only

Customer:

OK and thank you for your help.

Dr. P Jyoti :

diet is often the sole thing that is needed

Dr. P Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD